Alternate means of programming ArduBerry

I have not even received my ArduBerry yet (Amazon assures me it’s tomorrow) but I have a concern that will determine how I assemble…
I have a DFRobot chassis that ‘captures’ the boards in its interior. Removing the motor shields is not practical each time the Arduino sketch is improved.
How can I leave everything connected but still update the software? Can I connect a USB port (one with data) and program that way? Can I use I2C instead of SPI? What about the FTDI pins?

@DexterTinker: The best way to upload code to the Arduberry is from the SPI via the Raspberry Pi. The USB is only for power and would not allow you to upload the code to it and it won’t be possible to upload code via I2C either.

If you have an FTDI-USB adapter, then you can solder the 6pin FTDI header, burn the bootloader to the Arduberry and then use the FTDI adapter to program it. Do let us know if you want to go this way and I’ll post directions for how to do that.

Would it be possible to keep the Pi along with the Arduberry inside the robot chassis. Can you send a link to the robot chassis so that we can have a look too.

First can you confirm the limitation I saw elsewhere on this site… that shields must be removed in order to update the Arduberry? (if that is false then I don’t need another option)

Otherwise, I am quite interested in a solution. If FTDI-USB adapter is a possibility, then yes, I’d very much appreciate directions.

This is the model chassis I am using
https://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_111&product_id=1219

more tidbits:
I currently have the RPi3 and 3 HATs installed on Devastator chassis. I am expecting to replace with the RPI3, Arduberry, and 2 shields.

I’ve never use Arduino before, so I am not sure what “burn the bootloader” entails.

Is there a better option than this FTDI board (mentioned in March) ?

I am expecting to leave everything assembled while I tweak the algorithims. So I’d, maybe, have the Aurduberry snapped on the RPi for running code, and wired to the RPI USB for uploading code?

We don’t have a tutorial yet for burning the boot loader and using that with the Arduberry. I’ll write up a tutorial for that and send you a link in a day or two.

The FTDI adapter looks fine and should be good.

Do keep us posted on your project. (If you are getting into robotics, you can also have a look at GoPiGo here. It’s a robotics platform around the Raspberry Pi and Arduino.)