Beta Testers Wanted! Raspbian for Robots

Hey Peter. I took your e-mail off since you might not want people spamming it!

Have you tried the google download link on this page? Usually sourceforge is super fast. However, maybe there’s a problem in your area?

It’s Peter again. I downloaded the image on another computer and burned it to an SD card. It wasn’t possible to use the video instructions for ssh’ing in as mentioned above. Once I changed to dex.local, and so on, the ssh’ing was successful. But to run the demo I had to vnc into the Pi and click the icon and gui in the desktop. That worked too. I’ll start writing programs, but I’m pretty confident from here on out.

I suppose nothing computer-related can be perfectly smooth but you have to update your tutorial videos. They’re very helpful.

Thanks!

Peter
California

It wasn’t possible to use the video instructions for ssh’ing in as mentioned above.

Hey Peter which video were you pointed to? Videos for connecting are now up here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGXEJ4Ye1qCNZ9OGYTXh7o8jSgO5-NHjY

Now the holidays are almost over, I’m going to have some more time to experiment with the GoPiGo and the new version of Raspbian for Robots (RfR). I’m curious about the status of RfR with Raspbian Jessie and the brand spanking new Pi Zero! I’m willing to do some testing with Pi Zero and the GoPiGo (I’ve also got my spiffy new GoPiGo2 from the Kickstarter project). Of course, the first stumbling block will be the fact that the Pi Zero only boots up with Raspbian Jessie (older Wheezy versions just blink the ACT light slowly and makes it look quite lonely).

Hi everyone! Took me awhile, but I’m back to working with the GoPiGo. I switched to a Raspberry Pi Model B (older model) and it seems to fit on the controller board a bit better. Still wish the header socket was a bit taller so the Ethernet port has a better clearance when the pins are fully inserted. But that’s beside the point.

I pulled down the 2016 version of the Rasbian for Robots and flashed a new SD card. Got everything installed, updated, checked the firmware version, etc. Connecting with WiFi, SSH and VNC through the web browser on my Mac (OS 10.10) just fine, no issues. Installed the ultrasonic sensor and giving that a test drive.

Looking good!

I’m using the 2016 updated version of Raspbian for Robots. I’m having a weird sporatic issue with the WiFi. It will work at the beginning (Edimax Nano), I did the updates for Raspbian and Dexter software, rebooted and then no WiFi (I get the “Unable to Associate” error). Switched out to a different brand of USB WiFi (LB Link), it works until a reboot and second one dies. Anyone else having this issue?

Second topic: Does the “Browser streaming robot” project work with this version of Raspbian for Robots? When I do get the WiFi working for a few minutes, when I browse to http://dex.local I get the start screen for connecting with VNC, etc. Does the other project need the port number changed for the web server? Something like http://dex.local:8888 perhaps? I’ll look deeper into the code, but looking to see if it’s been tested on this new version. Thanks!

Hey Darrell, haven’t seen this, but I am using the DI wifi dongle. How are you powering the Pi? We usually see wifi issues when the power drops on battery power. Could that be the issue?

I think we’re picking up the browswer streaming robot in a different thread!

Hi John - the power might have been some of the issue, because I started out running from the batteries. I also ran the RPi from a 5V 1.5A power supply with the same results. Strangely enough everything worked fine when I was using Raspbian for Robots SD image dated 11-1-15 in December. I was using a Raspberry Pi Model B (ver 2) with the Edimax Nano WiFi adapter and then again this month. The only thing that changed is I flashed the Raspbian for Robots 01-05-2016 version to the SD card.

Tonight (2/25/16) I had no luck with the WiFi, even after starting from the beginning (flashed the SD card, connected via Ethernet to get VNC access, enabled WiFi) and again could only maintain WiFi for about 5 minutes and then everything dies. So, thinking maybe it’s the older Model B board, I pulled a brand new Raspberry Pi Model B+ out of my inventory and again started from a fresh image to the micro-SD card. Same result using the Edimax Nano WiFi.

I don’t have any of the Dexter Industries WiFi dongles. Which chipset does it use? The only other brand of USB WiFi I have on hand is the Raspberry Pi Foundation’s WiFi adapter (I keep a few of them on hand, but I can’t get those at wholesale!). I know that adapter uses the Broadcom chipset (Windows 10 IoT requires this adapter). So, now the configuration is a GoPiGo 1, Raspberry Pi Model B+ and Raspberry Pi WiFi adapter. I got connected via VNC and did the Raspbian update, Dexter Industries software update, Hardware update and then rebooted.

[drum roll please]

The WiFi reconnected and seems to be holding.

Things of note:

• Connecting to the RPi with the Ethernet cable does not work with Ubuntu Linux. I had to switch to a Mac OS X laptop
  • The newest 2016 Rasbian for Robots does not appear to be compatible with the Edimax and LB-Link USB WiFi (I wonder if they are the same chipset?)
  • I wasn’t able to rule out the issue was with the Model B board and the 2016 software version

Hey Darrell,

Wow, thanks for the detailed response. These sorts of responses help us think of new ideas, and help us work through these issues. So thank you SO MUCH.

First, the chipset on the wifi dongle is Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n. This should be supported on a standard Raspbian image (as well as our image).

Question about the Ubunut Linux: are your running and mdns service? I think that might require avahi, are you running that on your ubunut system?

The newest 2016 Rasbian for Robots does not appear to be compatible with the Edimax and LB-Link USB WiFi (I wonder if they are the same chipset?)
Have you updated Raspbian? Does it work with the Jesse version?

I will go ahead and try this with a Model B board, I don’t think we have yet!

Best, John

Thanks for that info, John. That chipset you listed is the same used in the Edimax Nano, so they’re essentially the same. I did several different “trial and error” experiments and ended up moving the Edimax to a different USB port. Also, it does make a different how the wpa_supplicant.conf file is configured, especially the value for pairwise=CCMP (pairwise=TKIP will fail). Also, there appears to be two different GUI apps for managing the WiFi. The default one with the latest version of Raspbian, the icon looks like two monitors, the old GUI icon looks like concentric semi-circles. I noticed if you click on the DI icon for “Wifi Setup” you get the older GUI. That seems a little confusing.

Long story, shorter … the Edimax Nano seems to be working now. So, I guess it just got off on the wrong foot. :slight_smile:

Addendum: Upon reboot, it takes awhile for the WiFi to work itself out, but it eventually connects again. After 5 minutes or so, it all dies. So, I am back to the original problem.

Hmm. Does manually editing wpa_supplicant work at all to solve the problem? Are you able to just delete everything and enter in the wifi info there?

I dug a little deeper (after getting some sleep, I was up really late trying to work this out), and although the DI WiFi is also a Realtek, it might be a slightly different model. The Edimax nano is RTL8182cu versus the RTL8188cu. I found some blog posts describing a power-saving bug (or is that a “feature”) that needs to be disabled in a file: /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf

I noticed the Raspbian for Robots image does have that file, but not exactly as the fix describes. Here is what the file contains now:

Disable power saving

options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=1 rtw_ips_mode=1

The recommended fix is:

Disable power saving

options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0 rtw_ips_mode=1

There’s no mention of what value rtw_ips_mode needs to have, so I left it. I’ll try this change and post an update.

For the benefit of anyone else, here’s the configuration in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
ssid=“Grandin Co-Lab"
psk=”**************"
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP
auth_alg=OPEN
}

network={
ssid=“HOMENET12"
psk=”*************"
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP
auth_alg=OPEN
}

I’m sure you can tell which one is “office” and which is “home”

PS - the Edimax nano works without any problem on my home network. It’s at the office, where I work on these projects (and record my hobby videos), that has the WiFi dropping out. I feel it still might be the power saving “feature” of the Edimax. Apparently the Rasberry Pi Foundation WiFi dongle with the Broadcom chipset does not suffer the same fate.

Could we update this more easily with this file:

If we just:
1). Uncommented this line: https://github.com/DexterInd/Raspbian_For_Robots/blob/master/upd_script/wifi/wifi_disable_sleep.sh#L6
2). Called the script.

Do you think that would work Darrell? We could make the fix pretty easily and quickly!

Hi Darrell, I made this change in the update. if you run the latest update, it should disable the wifi sleep for the RTL chip. Let me know what you think!

Update: I’ve just updated the image in the repository. The latest is now 2016.03.28 and can be downloaded from the Sourceforge Repository: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dexterindustriesraspbianflavor/

Me to has the same problem.
I can’t make the wifi work
I have the ever popular cheap Ralink.
The thing is: It’s working without tweaking in Jessie but not in the Dex Image
By the way. I don’t have any encryption and therefore no passkey.

Regards Sebastian

Hi Zebulon, are you getting an error message? What happens when you run lsusb? Or ifconfig?

I think I have one of these, I’ll take a look at it.

Also Zebulon, were you able to download the entire zip file without any problems? Did you get the Pi to bootup?

Quick Update: I’ve just uploaded the latest March 28th’s version. This is now on Google Drive and Sourceforge. This should work, out of the box, with the Raspberry Pi 3. We had to make some updates to work with the new wifi onboard, and the USB wifi.

We are going to close this thread. We’ve just upgraded to Jessie! Check it out here.