I received my GoBox yesterday. After I assembled my gopigo I am stuck with the part where I need to ping dex.local.
I have been reading some of the earlier posts but none seem to help.
Below is a summary of my current situation and what I have done:
1. I am using Windows 10.
2. The sd card that I am using has a sticker that says Dexter Raspbian for Robots 2015.11.09
3. The red and green LEDs at the back the raspberry pi (near the sd card) are both working after I turn on the gopigo.
4. Both LEDs on the Ethernet port of raspberry pi are working after the cable is connected to my laptop.
5. The wifi dongle is not plugged in.
6. When I typed "ping dex.local" on the command prompt, it returns "Ping request could not find host dex.local. Please check the name and try again."
7. I then obtained the ip address of my laptop ethernet, which is 169.254.195.75, and I follow your video and set the static ip of the raspberry pi to 169.254.195.76 and 169.254.195.77 on two separate occasions but on both occasions I'm getting "Destination host unreachable" after trying to ping those ip addresses. I have also used Angry IP Scanner but apart from the ip address of my laptop, it returned nothing from 169.254.195.0 to 169.254.195.255.
8. From the Network Sharing Center on Windows, I noticed that my Ethernet Status says "No network Access" for IPv4 Connectivity. I don't know if this matters or not. (see attached image Capture1.png).
9. I have also borrowed a monitor that has an HDMI input and connected it to the raspberry pi. After booting it up, I can see it's working normally, so I don't think there is anything wrong with my sd card.
10. Once the raspberry pi has finished booting, I opened a terminal and entered the followings:
sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf
The last 2 lines were entered at the end of the file.
- This time after another reboot of the raspberry pi, I am still not able to ping dex.local from my laptop. But I was able to ping the ip address 169.254.195.76. I then enter that ip address on my browser and was able to see the page that says " Welcome to Raspbian for Robots" (see attached image Capture2.png). However, after I clicked on the link that says "VNC (Desktop)" it took me to another page that says failed to connect to server (code: 1006). (see attached image Capture3.png).
Now I'm totally stuck and not sure what to do. As I am not an expert on linux, is there a video or written instructions on how to configure the networking aspect of the raspberry pi?
Thanks for your help and sorry for the long post.