Can't ping GoPiGo2 by ethernet, Windows 10

Hi, I have just assembled two GoPiGo2s and have run into trouble pinging them with my laptop, via ethernet. I have reviewed these forums for answers/tests and have yet to solve my problem.

First evidence of trouble was while trying to ping the GPG2s (ping dex.local in command line), and received message, “Ping request could not find host dex.local. Please check the name and try again.”

Here are some details:

1. I have installed Bonjour.
  2. Pi boot up is confirmed, both by visible LEDs and by hooking Pi up to HDMI monitor and booting.
  3. The LEDs on the Pi board’s ethernet port light up, and one of two flickers for a bit before both go on steady; on my laptop, only 1 orange LED lights up steady. I don’t know what that means.
  4. I ran the diagnostic test of the GPG2 through my HDMI monitor setup, generated a log file.
  5. My laptop recognizes that an “unknown network” is connected through ethernet, but I can’t access even through http://dex.local.

I have heard tell of a video that describes how to assign a IP to get around these network ID problems, but I can’t seem to find it. Can you supply a direct link?

Hey @tlcardinal, sorry to hear about the issues connecting to your Raspberry Pi. Let me offer two ideas:

1. IP Scanner: Before you assign a static IP, give an IP Scanner a shot. With win10, you can use Angry IP Scanner (free and Open Source). This should help you find your Pi on your network.
  2. Firewall VPN: Sometimes we see folks using a firewall or VPN on their computer, and this can cause problems with the network. You might try turning off your VPN (or checking your Firewall settings if you know what your doing).
  3. We have a video on assigning a static IP to the Raspberry Pi here.

Hopefully this helps!