Communication in rural areas

Hi there,

I am building a prototype with temperature and humidity sensors for rural areas and I am trying to determine which is the best way to gather data, since Internet may not be available (no WiFi).

I am thinking about radio frequencies, Bluetooth or maybe a GSM module to send data through SMS. It has to be also cheap.

I am wondering if I could get some recommendations from this community.

Warm Regards, Carlos

Are you talking about a continuous stream of data? Or data polling?

The easiest and cheapest of them all is always to save the data to a USB key and collect the USB sticks on a daily basis (or weekly).
If you want remote monitoring, that won’t work of course.

I’ve played with SMS a bit, using Twilio
As for cellular connection, the only one I’m a bit familiar with is the Electron: https://www.particle.io/products/hardware/electron-cellular-dev-kit

Eons ago I was able to make a radio connected network but this takes a license (which I do have but you may or may not)

Cleo
PS. Sounds like a great project that you’re working on!

Thanks Cleoqc,

I need to pull information every 3 hours.

I guess USB could work for the pilot project, but it could grow really fast, I am aiming to set 1,700 stations in 4 years therefore USB would be too costly. The best way would be any method that allows me to retrieve info from distance (I would say minimum 500 meters)

Carlos

Thanks Carlos

I am not very knowledgeable in this area, others here do know more, but I’m the one who’s online right now. :slight_smile:

I believe wifi would be your best answer. Google “long range wifi” for many products and projects that have been implemented. One project covered over 400 km with only 17 hops !

A quick search gave me this product which claims 1.5 mile range. I do not have any experience with it though.
Cleo

Thanks Cleo,

I guess I will try SMS, 433 Mhz transmitter and Wi-Fi and see which one is cheaper in one month.

Thanks so much for the advice.

I will post the results when I have them.

Warm regards from Costa Rica.
Carlos

if you need help, I’m always looking for an excuse to finally visit Costa Rica. :slight_smile:

Hahahahahaha, I will let you know how the test goes, if we are able to pull it off we will need all the help we can get.

1 Like

That is a cool project!!