Grove IR Receiver not working with RasPi3 B and GrovePi+

Hi, I just bought a “GROVE Infrared Receiver v.1.2” Grove module and tried to ran it, but I didn’t get any signal.

The OS is Raspbian via NOOBS on Raspberry Pi3 ModelB with GrovePi+, using the latest python library from GitHub.

The sensor was plugged into “RPISER” port and installed the IR control software as instructed in the sample code.

I found an old post that seems to be the similar error but I use a Grove IR Receiver sensor instead.

I “sudo apt-get update” and “sudo apt-get upgrade” and also switched the cable to a new one, but still got nothing.

What else am I missing?

My current settings are below:

/etc/modules

lirc_dev
lirc_rpi gpio_in_pin=14

/boot/config.txt

dtoverlay=lirc-rpi,gpio_in_pin=14

sudo /etc/init.d/lirc stop
mode2 -d /dev/lirc0

(nothing)

cat /etc/debian_version

uname -a

Linux raspberrypi 4.4.21-v7+ #911 SMP Thu Sep 15 14:22:38 BST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

gpio -v

gpio version: 2.32
Raspberry Pi Details:
  Type: Pi 3, Revision: 02, Memory: 1024MB, Maker: Embest 

vcgencmd measure_volts

core:    volt=1.2000V
sdram_c: volt=1.2000V
sdram_i: volt=1.2000V
sdram_p: volt=1.2250V

sudo i2cdetect -y 1

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- 04 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

@nonetiti,
Where did you buy the IR receiver from and what remote are you using along with it. Can you post a pictures of your IR receiver showing the top and bottom sides.

Thank you for the reply, karan!

Where did you buy the IR receiver from and what remote are you using along with it.

I bought the Grove IR Receiver module from SwitchScience co. via Amazon. I asked them about the problem but gave me the answer to ask the maker’s company(SeeedStudio) first…

I tested with two remote controllers that I had in my house. One from the BD player and the other from the room light controller.
I checked the remote controller’s maker company and both controller’s carrier frequency were 38kHz, and the differences were only the signal format( protocol ).

I’m planning to reinstall all from scratch to check in vanilla condition, even though it was almost brand newly installed.

Can you post a pictures of your IR receiver showing the top and bottom sides.

Thank you , here’re the photos taken. Hope it helps to determine the problem.

Pictures of the product tested

Grove IR Receiver

Remote Controler #1

BlueRay HardDrive Recorder’s Controller for BD-HDW20 (GA618PA, Sharp )

Remote Controller #2

Room Light Controller ( FRC-167T, TOSHIBA Lighting & Technology co. )
Product Site: http://saturn.tlt.co.jp/pdocs/s/FRC167T

Sorry for my tedious explanation and thank you for the support!

I have the same issue. Do you figure out how to fix it?

@nonetiti:
The python library and examples are for the package that we sell on our website. For your remote, you’ll have to do the things a bit differently. Can you follow this tutorial. The only change being that any mention of gpio_in_pin=23 gpio_out_pin=22 changes to gpio_in_pin=15.

Can you give this a shot and let us know if it works for you.

1 Like

@abdvls:

I have the same issue. Do you figure out how to fix it?

No, I haven’t… I didn’t have time to reinstall the whole system yet, but I’ll report here asap I find something.

@karan:

Can you follow this tutorial.

Thank you karan, but I don’t see any link nor URL…
Do you mean this old post that I linked in the previous post?
http://forum.dexterindustries.com/t/ir-receiver-doesnt-work/1596/4

If so, instead of using gpgio_in_pin=14, you’re suggesting use gpio_in_pin=15, right ?

Well, I would like to try that again, right after I re-install the Raspbian. Sorry, I haven’t the time to…

By the way, here in Japan, it seems that Dexter and SeeedStudio are treated as the same company by the re-seller.

I asked where I bought, SwitchScience, and they told me that basically Dexter does the software, and SeeedStudio does the hardware and both are the same GrovePi group so there’s no much difference… is that so?

@nonetiti: yeah, the tutorial is this : http://alexba.in/blog/2013/01/06/setting-up-lirc-on-the-raspberrypi/ .

Dexter Industries designs the hardware and maintains all the software and libraries for the GrovePi and also provides support for it. Seeedstudio is our manufacturing partner and makes the GrovePi boards for us.

1 Like