Python Motor Test failing

I have a BrickPi bought in mid 2014. I have followed the instructions for getting it built and connected.

I have set up remote access via WiFi from a Windows Vista Laptop, connected in via Putty, and successfully launched various X windows programs using Xming
After solving the challenges setting up the interfaces file to allow me to have a Wifi Connection for the console and an Ethernet connection to get internet access when I wanted it. I have now pulled the latest python related software from git hub, and set up file and folder permissions so that things seem to work from Nix perspective.

I have 6 fresh AA batteries and USB powering the system, and I can happily run programs on the Pi, so now I want to get things working on the BrickPi.

The setup.py process pulled packages from repositories, and installed the BrickPi.py and set up directories sensibly.

I am using NXT motors and sensors (in case that matters).

First program I ran was LED.py, which flashed the two LED as expected, LED_PWM.py then happily got the two LED operating in PWM mode to apparently dim and brighten.

I then tried the motor test programs in Sensor_Examples folder. The programs execute, but they fail to operate motors although the console output shows they are trying to do so.

I have changed motor cables for those I have working on a regular NXT brick.
I have plugged the motor cables into each of the four motor ports.
I have used two different motors, which both work fine on an NXT brick

I can’t find a way to use the Idle debugger, as I can’t launch Idle with sudo as it won’t display back over xwindows, and without sudo the serial port access fails.

I am now rather frustrated by this.

Your suggestions please…

when the raspberry pi boots up, do you see any errors related to i2c or spi? if you do, it means the BrickPi drivers didn’t install correctly.

I think woolfel’s suggestion is a good start, but the BrickPi runs on serial, not I2C.

Is there any way we can backup and check two things:
1). Your using your own custom image, Raspbian?
2). If you’re using your own custom image, did you work through the setup steps: http://www.dexterindustries.com/BrickPi/getting-started/pi-prep/
In particular, step 4: "4). The install script is called install.sh . Make it executable . . "

?

I mentioned the errors, since i was creating a fresh image for my LOGi Pi experiment and after a apt-get upgrade a bunch of stuff stopped working :slight_smile:

I had to wipe my SD card twice and track down the upgrade caused stuff to break. the motor tests was running into issues all of a sudden after apt-get upgrade.

Did you manage to figure out which upgrade caused stuff to break?

not yet. I’m trying to figure out which package in upgrade-dist broke xwindows. I suspect libjpeg8-dev or some other graphic library. Luckily I saved an image after the second attempt, so now I have an easy way to revert back :slight_smile: I’m planning to post my raspbian image this weekend on github with Logi pi and brickpi installed on raspbian from 5-5.

As far as I know I am on a standard build of Raspbian, we were given it on a teacher’s STEM course along with the Pi.

How would I find out exactly what build we have here (I am comfortable in bash shell, and familiar with Linux)

Looking at the boot screens while the boot happens is a bit challenging, as I am attaching over wireless that does not come up until after boot. Can you tell me where to look for the console boot log, and what to grep for?

Now I know that I don’t get an email ping when there is a respsonse to my post I will come back more often to check for answers…

the command is uname -a

3.18.111-v7 is the version I am on.