Upgrading to Jessie

Now that Deiban 8, Jessie has been officially released and the Raspian Community has a version for the Pi any plans to update the Dexter Industry version to Jessie?

Also, any known problems is I update my source list myself?

Hey! We’re overdue for an update, there have been a lot of improvements to our Git. We haven’t tried updating yet, we would love to hear about your experience.

If you’re going to update, can you let us know how it goes?

Thanks!

Hi John,
This is the better late than never reply!

I was able to upgrade the DI version of Raspian to Jessie with no problems following the guide found here:

I tested both my GoPiGo and my GrovePi+ with Jessie and everything appears to be stable.

On another Pi I ungraded to Jessie from a clean install of Rasbian and had some trouble which was fixed by a Duck Duck Go search. That was back in May when this first was first posted since then th bootloader has been updated. Anyway, the GrovePi+ is up and running on that machine.

In any case it would be great to see an update to the DI distro. Maybe with the launch of GoPiGo2? I’m sure you don’t have enough on your plates running a Kickstarter campaign and all :slight_smile:

Hey BrandonRandon, thanks a lot for coming back and letting us know about it! And it’s awesome to hear it works.

I’ve been working on the upgrade on and off the past two months. I have a rough draft here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0WChwP4CnLBb3NsZl9YVml4NTQ/view?usp=sharing

However, we didn’t upgrade it to Jessie. Have you seen any advantages to doing this? Anything earth shattering improved on it?

I’ve been working on the upgrade on and off the past two months.

Cool, I just played around with the new DI distro a bit this weekend. I even re-wrote the dex.local screen a bit:

Have you seen any advantages to doing this? Anything earth shattering improved on it?

Nope, nothing where I went “Whoa, must switch everything to Jessie” I did notice that it fills up an 8GB card quite fast so I wouldn’t recommend doing it unless you have at least a 16GB card.