GoPiGo3 with raspberry pi 4 b

Yes, I have an extra sd card and did what you recommended. It was a great workaround.

Everything seems functional but not sure if everything stays functional after connecting it to gopigo3. We will find out soon, I guess!.

2 Likes

If you have a Pi 4 - 8G, then the experimental version is not compatible with it. Raspberry Pi OS got a huge overhaul in May, and we haven’t caught up with it yet.

3 Likes

Also, if you’re going to start with the official Raspberry Pi OS - Buster, I would recommend starting with keyboard and screen.
The desktop interface makes it quite easy to set up your wifi, and VNC server (which you will most likely need once your Pi is in the robot, although you could simply SSH into the Pi).

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Yes, I have an 8G pi 4. Yes, I used a screen and did config everything; now can ssh to my pi.

Here is something I found interesting, every time I tried to flash my sd card with the dexter version of Raspbian, etcher threw an error at the end of verification saying it could not match the source and destination or something similar. However, I didn’t have that issue with the Raspberry Pi OS I downloaded from the Raspberry website.

I have purchased a pi 3b, installed the Raspberry pi OS, and then ssh to it and downloaded dexter packages. Now, I’m waiting for my GopiGo to get here, put it together and start my project.

2 Likes

@cleoqc @cyclicalobsessive I have assembled my gopigo and can ssh to it. To test it, I went to the examples and tried running the basic_servo.py. The code runs fine without any issues but my robot doesn’t respond to it?! How can I test the motors and make sure they are working? I tried other commands too like fwd(), bwd() but the same the robot doesn’t respond.

1 Like

Are you sure you are in the right directory? I don’t see an example basic_servo.py.in GoPiGo3/Software/Python/Examples??

The GoPiGo examples are for the prior version. You want GoPiGo3 code.

1 Like

Mine has a GoPiGo folder too!. I opened GoPiGo control panel. All LEDs/lights responds but the motor movements are hit and miss!!. I click 10 times and then it works a bit and then dies.

2 Likes

@cyclicalobsessive I figured it out!! It’s the freaking battery. I have 8 2800 mAh not sure why they were not enough

1 Like

My robot’s first two sets of batteries were EBL 2800mAh cells. They need to be cycled about five times before they reach best capacity. In an “idle test”, they would last about 9 hours from full charge at 10.25v down to the cliff at 7.4v. (I use a BC-3000 to “refresh cycle” new cells. Capacity at 500mA discharge rate came to approximately 2500mAh.)

1 Like

I see thanks for the info. Yea, it took a deep dive after the 8th hour!.

1 Like

Hi Navid,
Did you also receive the Rechargeable Battery Pack with your GoPiGo Core? Just curious why your using 8 x 2800 mAh instead of the pack.

1 Like

Hi,
No, It didn’t come with one. Mine is a basic model, probably an older model. Dexter didn’t have it available and had to buy it from Europe. Then, I ordered parts for it from Dexter. I was thinking about returning the robot and order one from Dexter (I believe they became available last week or so) but it is no option!. The shipping cost might exceed the robot price!.

The batteries are working fine now. I charged them again and also noticed the battery pack holder wasn’t providing a snug fit. I put a zip tie around it and batteries are staying in place better.

1 Like

Ahhhh right we combined your orders and canceled the GoPiGo Core. Sorry about that! I’m happy to hear the batteries are working.

@cyclicalobsessive that is quite the drop, although we’ll take a full 8 hours in an idle test. I think this is similar to the new rechargeable Battery Packs.

2 Likes

Agreed, I have a large rubber band around mine

1 Like

I took a piece of the rubberized stuff you put under carpets to keep them from sliding and glued it to the back of my 'bot. That helps keep the batteries from sliding around.

If you have the 8 AA battery battery pack, put a couple of strips of electrical tape on the two ends where the metal contacts show to prevent accidental short-circuits.

BTW, if you DO decide to get the “new” version of the GoPiGo, (and you got the cash!), you’ll have lots of spare parts. Spare parts are always a good idea.

Dexter (now Modular Robotics), used to have a “spare part kit” you could order that had a bunch of stuff like motors, hardware, acrylic, etc. etc. etc., in it. I don’t know if they still have it or not, but if you don’t get a 2nd bot, get the spare parts kit.

1 Like

When I bought mine, it had the motors too.