Grove Pi+ RST

Hi John,

In the mean time, I abandonned the Raspberry/GrovePi solution. Both hardware and software seem not reliable enough for my needs and I haven’t even tried the behaviour in an outdoor environment.
So, I made the choice of a full hardware and industial solution (http://gce-electronics.com/en/din-web-relay-board-server/994-lan-controller-web-relay-board-ipx800-v4.html).
Sorry I made you lose your time and many thanks for the help.

Benoit

Hey Benoit,
Really sorry to hear that the GrovePi and the sensors were not upto your expectation and you had to switch to another platform. Can you keep us posted on your experience with the other platform that you are switching to and also let us know if there is anything we could have done better. We’ll try to add better support and documentation for people who try to use multiple sensors.

-Krana

Hi Karan,

I’ll give you a feedback on my implementation with the other platform, for sure (it’ll take a few weeks).
There is nothing to blame with support. I can see that you guys are doing your best to solve issues.
And yes, documentation could be improved with more complex or “real-life” examples". I also would have appreciated more details about the functions (parameters, return values, error handling,…)
Thanks again for the support.

Benoit

Hello
I’m a new GrovePI user and by the way new on this site :slight_smile:
sorry to wake this subject , but I have exactly the same problem.

sometime , when I activate one relay , the grovepi board goes to RST (with the red light) and I loose the input/output.
Strange thing, I tried to use another GPIO port on the raspberry in order to activate my relay (one unused by the grovepi). in this case, when I change the state of the relay directly connected on a separate PIN , the grovepi board revives !
( I mean the RST red light disappair and the input/output become available)
not each time, but if I switch the relay 3 or 4 times , I retrieve the grovepi

the command line “avrdude -c gpio -p m328p” solve the problem temporary , but I cannot use a script to launch it every time that the problem appear…

My project target wil contain arround 5 DHT11, 16 relays, 2 ultrasonic sensors and 2 analog temp sensors ; but currently I’m blocked with 2 relays only…

by any chance, did you solve this issue ?
BR
Stephane

Hi @Stephane,

Can you send us a picture of your setup showing the connections and also can you share with us the code with which you are getting this problem.

Are you using Raspbian for Robots image from Dexter Industries or any other Image on your Pi?

-Shoban

Hi @Shoban

first thing , on my project I mapped only the PIN needed between the raspberry and the GrovePI board ( describe in the post What are the GPIO mapping to the GrovePi+ Ports ) so only 5v, 3;3V, Gnd and 0,1,8,9,10,11,14,15 are linked. the rest is used as GPIO as output mode ( 4 5 6 12 13 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26).

I try to give you a picture of the connections this week-end.

concerning the code / image , the install is :

• raspbian Linux garage 4.4.13-v7+ as OS
  • Jeedom for the supervision/scenario/domotic system

so jeedom just launch directly the python script gave with the grovepi install. I don"t script anything else.

By exemple , Jeedom check each minute through your script grove_dht_pro.py and when the humidity is higher than 70% , Jeedom start my bathroom airing with the command line “gpio -g write 20 0” or “gpio -g write 20 1”

sometime, when Jeedom close the relay connected on the GPIO 20 , the RST appear on the grovepi board , and I loose the DHT11 sensor values until I reboot the raspberry or I send the magic command avrdude -c gpio -p m328p

I tried to connect CE0 ( GPIO 8 is the reset PIN isn’t it ?) on Ground or 3,3V , without success.

I hope than it is most clear for you…
I don’t understand why when I move one GPIO not linked on the GrovePI , I loose the card…

br
Stephane

Hi @Stephane,

I am a bit confused, which pins you are using, can you point to me the pins you are using based on the labeling given here.

Can you also clarify what you mean by "I loose the card .." which is in the last line of your reply.

We haven’t used the OS that you are using and it will be better to help, if you could share with us the specifications of the relay and the details of the Power supply that you are using.

-Shoban

Hi Forum,

I just encounter the same issue with my Pi with a GrovePi+ piloting 3 (yep, three) Grove SPDT Relay (30A) + one lcd.
The problem definitely raise when power supply is not powerful enough, one with 0.88mAh always gives the RST issue…

But I do not have any error while running my Python script (only the fact my relay are not switching, but display is displaying what I ask…):
grovepi.pinMode(relay,“OUTPUT”)
grovepi.digitalWrite(relay,1)

So my questions are :

• how can I get an error and trap it ?
  • I didn’t catch your command to reset the Grove board

Thanks for your help,
Herrmann

@herrmann,
The Grove SPDT Relay takes a lot of current, around 200mA each, so you definitely need a very beefy 5V adapter to power it. Normal USB power from the computer won’t be very useful. You should use atleast a 5V 2A adapter. Also, I am not sure if it would still be able to handle 3 or more of those together.

To test this, just connect one of the relays to the board and run the python example and see if the relay turns on and off. This relay is pretty much like an LED, when you give 5V to the signal line, it turns ON. There is not a lot of feedback from the relay.

The command to reset the board is: avrdude -c gpio -p m328p