Help Update The GoPiGo3 README

Please identify issues (and please offer markup text) for the very out of date GoPiGo3 README.md

Suggested Updates:

• Remove all reference to Dexter OS
  • Remove all references to Raspbian For Robots
  • Clearly indicate that the only alternative to GoPiGo OS is the 32-bit Legacy PiOS
  • Clearly indicate that the three install sections only work for 32-bit Legacy PiOS
  • All other OS such as Ubuntu, and PiOS Bookworm → Post requirement on the forum for discussion

No Idea How To Fix:

• README title has “workflow badge” displaying “docs:failing” (Prob only MR can fix)
    Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 12.43.24 PM
1 Like

I oppose that because there are legacy products, (like the brick pi, grove pi, etc.), on platforms other than the Pi-4 and 5, that can/should use Raspbian for Robots in order to use the published instructions.  However I entirely agree that it should be made obvious that Raspbian for Robots is depreciated and support will be extremely limited.

Building the Grove/Brick-Pi over a “naked” operating system isn’t documented anywhere, (AFAIK), and the ability to build it over Buster, Bullseye, or Bookworm is uncharted territory and very likely won’t work.

I entirely agree with removing all references to Dexter O/S as it really doesn’t have any useful applications anymore.

It should also be noted that the “Read The Docs” documentation has a lot of stale data throughout it and should be cleaned up as well.

2 Likes

This is the GoPiGo3 Readme. I do not care about the GrovePi or BrickPi noobs that don’t read anything, period!

2 Likes

However, even excluding the other products, GoPiGo-3 isn’t the only GoPiGo out there - GoPiGo-2 robots appear occasionally and there is no separate repo for them, (AFAIK).  Since they cannot use the GoPiGo O/S, or the current GoPiGo libraries, (which are specific for the GoPiGo-3), to even build their own spin, there needs to be a way for them to get the software they need.

My recommendation, (after reading your post and doing some additional thinking), is:

1. Keep the majority of the readme as it is.[1]

2. Create a separate section for legacy software, with the note that this is intended for earlier versions of the GoPiGo robot.

3. Within the legacy software section, provide links to RFR and Dexter O/S, with the caveat, (in bold face), that these software versions are depreciated, support will be EXTREMELY limited, and is only available on the forums, if at all.
    Translation:  If we can help, we will - however that’s unlikely and if we can’t, it just stinks being you.

4. There should be a note that earlier versions of the GoPiGo robot are also depreciated and any support options will be extremely limited.

• There should be a strong suggestion to upgrade to the latest GoPiGo-3 robot, (with a link to the “buy” page), since that will provide the best experience and is fully supported.

==========  Footnotes  ==========

1. It should be made clearer which download and installation options, especially the “install on your own software image” and the venv installation procedure, which - if any - require an installation of the sensors libraries as well.

As it is currently written, it appears that the “spin your own” installations do NOT require the sensor libraries which I believe is false.
2 Likes

Forgive my early morning cynicism, no one reads anything these days - so I really like:

and I’m going to proceed with a strategy of:

• deletions are highly desirable - if someone disagrees they own the markup.
  • add single sentence clarifications required for success
  • Jim is working items 2,3,4

I’ll try to implement my strategy today to produce a proposed markup.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Weeeell. . . .

I would suggest against a “slash and burn” editorial policy.

IMHO deletions should be specifically justified (except the legacy products).

Instead I would rather see some of the instructions amplified with additional guidance, especially with regard to if the sensor libraries need to be installed within a particular section of the instructions.

2 Likes

Do I/we have access to this, or should I create my own version and we can compare them?

2 Likes

Suggest you make a local copy of the official readme (I wget the raw file), do your strategy, and either push to your GitHub or post it here.

1 Like