Ir receiver and emitter

Hey,
Thanks a lot for testing the firmware out. We’ll have a look at the code to find out what the problem is exactly. Were you getting a reply back from the firmare_version program ?

If you want to compile the firmware yourself, just use the Arduino IDE with the program in here https://github.com/DexterInd/GrovePi/tree/master/Firmware/Source/v1.2/grove_pi_v1_2_3 and use avrdude to burn it to the GrovePi.

-Karan

Hi, Karan.
I have compiled the firmware by myself, and the firmware file size is 40706, which is different from the HEX file on github(whose size is 23190).
And this firmware seems work normally. Though the IR receiver program only print “old signal” or “IO ERROR” when I try to decode the signal send from my TV remote controller.

“Hey,
The do you need the support for the IR emitter or the reciever. We have just added the support for the IR reciever in the last commit:”

Hello,
I want to use the IR emitter just for try to change channel of my TV with the grovepi it is possible ? the firmware for use the emitter its finish? or you have not finish it yet ?
Thanks.

Hey,
I’ll have a look at the firmware for the GrovePi just to make sure that it works with the IR code.

@oxy34070: we’ll add the support for the IR emitter soon for the GrovePi.

-Karan

Hi guys!

I just wait the tutorial for ir emitter. Good luck for this work !
I have a project which you karan or the grovepi team can gain money.
can you maybe send me one mail or skype for speak about this ?

Good summer !

Hey,
We have been trying to get the IR emitter to work with the GrovePi and it is still Work in Progress. It a bit trickier to get working with the GrovePi because of the timing requirements. We’ll keep you updated about it.

For more discussion about the project that you have in mind, can you contact us through our contact page, under “General Questions and Feedback”http://www.dexterindustries.com/site/?page_id=65.

-Karan

Hi Karan!

What’s up about ir emitter ?

Thanks you.

Hey,
We have not tested the IR emitter, but it should be very similar to setting up the IR receiver. Can you connect it to the Serial port so that it is directly connected to a Pi GPIO and then use LIRC to make it work. This might be helpful: http://alexba.in/blog/2013/01/06/setting-up-lirc-on-the-raspberrypi/.

-karan

Hi,
I’m interested in the firmware for IR Emitter for the grovepi.
Have you make any progress in integrating the IR emitter ?
I’m totally newbie in this environnement : arduino and raspberry but I had a look to the firmware source 1.3.0 and installed platormio and atomIDE to build the source on win7
Is there a way to test the firmware without burning it ?
I would like to send raw 38khz pulse and space.

You propose to use the serial port to bypass the grovepi. Can you send the lirc config to use the IR Emitter that way ? i can’t load the lirc-rpi module…

nice product by the way,
thanks,
emmanuel

Hi @emtl12,

Yeah, it does work with the latest version 1.3.0 of the firmware on the GrovePi. Here’s the documentation for the 3-IR related functions in our Python library:

1. grovepi.ir_read_signal - docs

2. grovepi.ir_recv_pin - docs

3. grovepi.ir_is_data - docs

Let me know if this did it for you.

Thank you!

If I’m not wrong these functions are for the IR reciever only.
I’m concerned by the IR emitter.

Thank you for your response.
Emmanuel

In that case, the GrovePi doesn’t support IR emitters. Just out of curiosity, what do you want to emit with it?

Either way, I think that would be something good to add to the firmware.

Thank you!

It will be used for home automation : TV, light, rollershutter…
I already have google assistant (voice control) on my smartphone linked with openhab on raspberryPI with lirc and PiHat with IR emitter. I found my IR emitter on pi HAT not enough powerfull, so I bought grovepi with grove IR Emitters. I thought, I could point the emitters in different directions for better performance.
Emmanuel