Let's talk about the Pi-4, Killer Nano-bots, or whatever unreasonable idea strikes your fancy!

I did that with the ice-cream. Actually I did it three times. . . (the two granddaughters were with me).

However I’m not sufficiently fond of coffee to want to try it.  I can think of better and less expensive ways to upset my stomach.

1 Like

I do like coffee, so there’s the difference.

I enjoyed the list that came with the unedited version I got in my email in-box. I get email notifications of replies. Hadn’t thought it through, but makes sense that one would get the original.

Makes for a sort of back channel. Someone can post a reply, and then immediately edit it. In theory someone could be looking at the thread for that minute or so, but unlikely. So pretty much everyone else sees the edited thread, and only those who are getting the email get the original version. Of course I think anyone can ask to subscribe to a thread, so DM-ing is a better way to truly send a private message. And there is the issue that if I make a mistake initially, or realize the tone doesn’t represent what I intended, then it’s too late unless the recipient reads the thread as well (which I always do anyway).

In this case the use was perfect - a bit of humor for those regulars following the thread right now, and nothing that might be interpreted out of context in the future.

/K

PS - agree with the list. I don’t have direct experience with #2, but understand that’s why dash-cams are so common there.
PPS - being intentionally vague so people wonder what was on the list :robot: :wink:

PPPS - just to be clear, it was totally rated G and innocuous. I didn’t want anyone to think @jimrh had posted something offensive.

1 Like

In case anyone is interested, it was a list of ways to upset my stomach, which included things like “driving in Russia” (#2), arguing with my wife, accidentally dd’ing over the only copy of something, etc. - that I ultimately decided didn’t add value to the posting so I removed it.

More’s the pity that e-mails are sent so quickly.  There’s no intent or desire to create a communications channel on “the down low” - that’s what PM’s are for.

In my case, as it’s a known fact that my social skills are abysmal at best and as I have a chronic case of “foot-in-mouth” disease, (also known as “Athlete’s Tongue”)[1], I have a tendency to edit rather frequently.  Especially since the “preview pane” doesn’t show bizarre formatting problems that viewing full screen does - or trying to compose something on a smartphone that’s too smart for its own good and the auto-correction makes a mess of a perfectly good sentence. . . (and so on. . .)

Well, whatever. . .

The real bottom line - which has absolutely nothing to do with what I was originally talking about - is that even the best, most carefully brewed coffee is not something I’m particularly fond of.

However, a robotic coffee kiosk that uses Raspberry Pi-4’s IS something I find interesting.  :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s like my relationship with television.  I absolutely HATE television in general as I consider it insipid and mindless.  However, I think the technology is absolutely fascinating.

[1] Athlete’s Tongue
What you get when you have “Athlete’s Foot”, and your foot spends WAY too much time in your mouth. :wink:

P.S.
I don’t know if this is true for people who are not the author of the post, but when I click on the “edited” pencil icon at the top of the post it shows me the post’s edit history, just in case anyone is interested in what was edited.

In this case, the “original, un-edited” version was this:

That’s a new one on me - it’s funny.

I also just learned that - I can see your edit history as well, so it isn’t just the author. Good to know.

I think I’m the one with my foot in my mouth at this point. I was just trying to give you credit for what I thought was a funny list, and noticed the email vs. forum difference. But I clearly made too much of it (esp. since everyone can see the edit history). I thought about editing my post, but realized it was futile. Ah well - I’ve learned another thing not to do…

/K

PS - now what if it was a TV run by a Raspberry Pi 4 :laughing:

1 Like

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.

You can plug in a Roku dongle or install one of the dozen-or-so “media center editions” for the Pi.  Though I haven’t researched it too thoroughly, I am sure there are also TV front-end adapters that can be used with the Pi.

If you don’t want to go that route, just fire up YouTube and pick your own poison.  That’s my preferred route as I can choose what I want to watch instead of having someone else choose for me - and I can make it relevant to MY interests.

Don’t sweat it, we all chew a bit of toenail periodically.

And don’t worry about editing a post.  You will notice that a lot of my posts have a relatively long edit history - either from my smartphone changing “list” into “let’s” or “lost”, or noticing a spelling error after-the-fact, or finally remembering the word I wanted to use, or (etc.). . .

I’d rather edit for clarity or content than leave a post dangling sideways.

1 Like

Should have guessed :slight_smile: .
Haven’t tried any of the “media centers” - as I think about it all my my Raspberry Pi projects are “headless” - I don’t even have a GUI running on them. I connect over the network. I’ll connect them to a monitor and keyboard only for troubleshooting if I can’t SSH in.

Yep - I watch far more YouTube than TV.
Personally I’m fond of Makers like Laura Kampf and Jimmy Diresta etc.

Все лучшее для вас. С нетерпением жду дальнейших разговоров.

/K

PS - man I hope Google translate didn’t screw that up :robot:

1 Like

I wouldn’t know as I use Google Translate too as my Russian language skills are rather less than my social skills, which themselves are virtually nill.

It comes across as “All the best for you. I look forward to further conversations.”

P.S.
The Google Translate app has a “tap to translate” feature where I highlight the text in question, copy, and then tap the little pop-up icon that appears.

That’s what I get for assuming - I knew you spent a fair amount of time there, so I guessed you had picked up a good amount of Russian.

Google Translate is amazing. Especially the feature that uses your phone camera for translation. I’ve used that in Thailand and Japan where there was no chance of me typing in words/phrases for translation.

/K

1 Like

Yep, but most of it is what I learned while in traffic with Svetlana, (my wife), and none of that can be used in polite company!  (:wink:)

1 Like