New Toys for Charlie!

I have two of the Nvidia Jetson Nanos. I use one as a development sbc with my Lino Robot and the other is presently on a Parallax Arlo chassis loaded up with Donkey Car software.

The Jetson Nano is very power hungry (My Arlo chassis powered by two 12vdc 7 amp-hr SLA batteries in parallel) and I doubt that the GoPiGo3 batteries would last long even if the Nano could be attached in some way to the DI interface board.

You do know that the the Nano GPIO bus is the reverse of the Rpi 3B+ GPIO bus therefore requiring any HAT to be left hanging off the GPIO bus side of the Nano?

I am waiting on the delivery of a Robo HAT MM1 M4 HAT for a Rpi 3B+ that I plan to use on a another chassis running Donkey Car software.

Regards,
TCIII

1 Like

I thought so. In any event I would have to run a ribbon cable to connect them. Maybe flip the connector?

I didn’t know that service level agreements were rated in amp-hours! :wink: That’s a revelation - had I known, I could have made much more money on my service contracts!

So - theoretically - I could spin my own?

If I remember rightly, both the Nano and the Pi use the same processor family, (Arm) - right?

Unfortunately, the Nano’s software is a re-spin of Ubuntu - and as I remember, RFR doesn’t play nice with Ubuntu.

That is correct. The Jetson Nano runs a slightly modified version of Ubuntu Mate. ROS Melodic works well with this version of Ubuntu Mate.

Regards,
TCIII

My neumonica must be out of tune, but you lost me with both ROS and SLA in your last couple of messages.
:thinking::astonished:

ROS: Robot Operating System

SLA: Sealed Lead Acid (Battery)

Regards,
TCIII

1 Like

If you want to put a Jetson Nano on a GoPiGo3 size chassis, try here.

The GoPiGo3 is way too small to be able to do anything meaningful except to learn to use Python to control a toy chassis.

Regards,
TCIII

1 Like

Whaaaal, I’m not sure I’ll be right willin’ to agree there.

Does the GoPiGo have its limitations? Sure!
Are you going to be able to pull 18-wheelers out of the mud with one? Nope.

However, it’s a pretty darn capable learning platform if you want to cut your teeth on robotics without spending huge amounts of money for the privilege. (The 'bot in your link weighs in at better than $250, especially if you include the Nano itself - and it’s not nearly as cute!)

I have yet to exhaust my ideas for this thing and I am confident that it will keep me busy for a long time to come.

Later - perhaps - I might move to a bigger 'bot, but it probably won’t be better than the GoPiGo. Especially for what I’m doing.