ROS2 GoPiGo3 Dave's 1k Run

Can we, at least, get some kind of summary?

If not an official press release, maybe “reliable sources”?

The Great ROS2 GoPiGo3 1k Gallop - Wednesday 6 Oct 2021

• Total Distance 1030 meters

• Time 1:18

• Ave Speed 0.22 m/s

• 1k Pace 1:06

• Face Plants 5 (All drivers’ fault, All self recovered)

• Battery Readings 12.02v → 10.9v

• Power Consumed 9.6Wh

• Battery Used 40% of 25Wh capacity

• Dogs 1 Curious, 1 Afraid, Many Ambivalent

• The video file only contains 10 minutes of frames - mystery. Probably should have stuck with the 1 fps time lapse capture. Dave did not have a way to tell me the video capture had stopped, and thus no “finish line video”

• Both iWatch “Outdoor Walk” and iSmoothRun, which worked flawlessly to measure a 1k walk in 15 minutes, failed completely to measure a 1k walk in an hour and 15 minutes. Luckily, I had taken note of the “finish line” during the scouting walk, and drove Dave a short distance further before declaring his 1k finish.

Dave was a surprise hit with the numerous walkers and dog walkers, often bending to get just the right closeup with their phone’s camera. One particular “senior age” walker approached asking “Is that Dave?” He remarked that he has a collection of most of the Minions. His wife, never the less, was tugging on him to get back to their walk.

• Could I have looked any more “geek”?
2 Likes

No.

Not “geek” but rather totally rad, as in “radical” or “like a boss”.

Or like:  “You gotta have a brass pair to be doing something like that in public!” :wink:

Charlie gives both you and Dave “two antennae up!!” and total props for making it happen despite all the challenges.

You should have gotten some Modular Robotics and/or Dexter Industries swag to hand out to spectators.  The least they could have done was sponsor the walk.

Was anyone intelligently interested in the 'bot as a GoPiGo 'bot?

1 Like

Sadly, no but not to be expected in this area of So. Florida that is home to retired Floridians and “snow bird” home to retired N.Y. And N.J.folk.

2 Likes

Congrats to Dave on a successful 1K.
The photos are great!
/K

PS - I still think Dave should get a :1st_place_medal:

2 Likes

ROS2 GoPiGo3 Robot Dave’s 1k Run The Movie (3 minutes)

2 Likes

And for those who may be interested, there are more videos about Carl and Dave here;

https://vimeo.com/user126635862

As you can see, he was one of the very first users to sign up!
:wink:

2 Likes

WooHoo. Go Dave Go.
I don’t have good internet access this weekend. Look forward to watching when I get better connectivity.
/K

2 Likes