[SOLVED] No SPI response or No I2C At Same Time

I did and it works, thanks! It is cleaner I suppose

Yes it is :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yup!

For anyone else reading this thread, in order for the GoPiGo-3 to work properly, both i2c and SPI need to be enabled.

Re: i2c1:
I don’t understand the difference as there are two main i2c interfaces:

• i2c0 which on the Pi-2 and above, (the “40 pin” raspberry pi’s), is reserved by the O/S for the “HAT ident” feature and is on pins 27 and 28.

• i2c1 is the one on pins 3 and 4, (I think) and it replaces the old i2c0 from the earlier boards on those pins.  This is very likely the main reason that the GoPiGo won’t work on the very earliest Raspberry Pi boards as it expects i2c1 to be available on those pins.

As far as I know, enabling i2c and enabling i2c1 should be identical as they reference the same interface, (AFAIK).

If you know different, please correct me.

1 Like

Interesting - I went back and looked at the DI GoPiGo3 install and it only sets:

dtparam=i2c_arm=on

dtparam=spi=on

For some reason the grovepi and PivotPi installs set dtparam=i2c1=on but not the GoPiGo3. Both the grovepi and PivotPi are considerably older install scripts, so perhaps this was needed then and is no longer.

(All this does not explain how @gabriel.cahu-penhiri could have installed the GoPiGo3 software and not had the install script enable SPI and I2C, but he’s got a working system now.)

3 Likes

I see you have NiMH batteries.

You might want to consider the new Li-Ion batteries that Modular Robotics has now.

They last longer and charge faster.

3 Likes