Unable to boot up GoPiGo

Encountered a problem while using the GoPiGo, the GoPiGo board would not power on.
As shown in the photo, the LED only lights up when I’m holding onto the power button.

photo_2017-10-08_18-16-02

Tried following this tutorial (https://www.dexterindustries.com/howto/install-raspbian-for-robots-image-on-an-sd-card/) of reinstalling raspbian onto the SD card as I suspected that it might be something to do with the OS. Encountered the following error while loading the image onto the SD card.

[removed, unable to load 2 images]
Error encountered:
F:
The directory name is invalid

Clicked on ‘ok’ and image was loaded onto the SD card but I’m still getting the problem where my GoPiGo would not power up. Anyone has got any solution to it or am I doing something wrong?

I have the same problem. It turns off when I release the power button.
I suspect a defective power button.

Hi,

I had similar problems here:

I doubt it’s defective hardware.

I would suggest:

• Powering your Pi through the power supply, not the batteries.
  • Plug in USB keyboard, HDMI monitor
  • Boot up Raspbian for Robots.
  • Look for icon to update firmware for robot, and try that.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Darren.

Hi @jack.new.wl,

I just want to jump in and tell that @darren.cotterill’s suggestions are on point. Thanks @darren.cotterill.
Here are 2 things that might be the cause of this issue:

1. Old firmware on the GoPiGo3 -> Boot up Raspbian For Robots and update the firmware of the GoPiGo3.

2. Low batteries.

Also, I might suggest you use Etcher instead of Win32DiskImager - it’s more reliable.

Thank you!

@RobertLucian @darren.cotterill and hans too! Sorry I can’t tag more than 2 people in a post

Thanks for the help guys. Turns out, the GoPiGo board was fried. No idea how that happen since my team was using it the second time for less than 30 mins.

Borrowed another GoPiGo board and the robot started working again.

Hi @jack.new.wl,

It seems like your board is defective.
We should give you a replacement for the GoPiGo3 board.

• @ChrisDooley, can we ship Jack a replacement board for the GoPiGo3?

• And @Matt, if Jack is in the US, we should ship you the defective board so we can further test it. Are you based in the US, @jack.new.wl?

Thank you!

@jack.new.wl I agree with @RobertLucian. If you’re in the US and can send the board to me, I can test it and investigate this further.

Sorry matt, i’m located in singapore. But i’m pretty sure th board is fried
because i tried it with my friend’s gopigo board and the robot works fine.

@jack.new.wl Can you provide me with your full name, Address and phone number? Once I have this information, I can send you a new card.

Hi @jack.new.wl,

Since that fried board is quite important to us, we want to determine what are the costs for shipping that defective board to our engineer in the US.
After determining the shipping costs of the defective board, we’ll communicate that to you and then reimburse the cost through PayPal or something similar.

At the same time, we are shipping you a replacement for the GoPiGo3 board.

@ChrisDooley can you help us on this matter? I will leave these 2 to you guys.
@jack.new.wl, does that sound okay to you? Also can you tell us what is the preferred courier for sending the defective board?

Thank you!

Hi robert,

The shipping cost would be around 15-20USD. Would you provide me the
address? You guys can also reimburse me after I’ve shipped the board back
so I can provide you guys with the receipt as well as tracking for the
board.

No preffered courier but would appreciate it if we get it asap as my team
and I are using the robot for a final year project.

Regards,
Jack

hey @jack.new.wl I think we’re having trouble finding your original order. Do you have an order number? Did you order directly from us or through a distributor?

Hi john,

It was purchased from your site by my project sponsor Ben Li,
ben.li.2016@mi.smu.edu.sg.

Order 124104 was shipped on 27 september via USPS to my team member’s
address which is as follows:

Deborah Sim
7 Pennefather Road
Singapore, 424437
Singapore

I am sending this email on behalf of the team as I’m the backend engineer
of the project. Do let me know if you’re able to find the order. Thank you.

Regards,
Jack

Thanks @jack.new.wl we will be in touch on Monday and get a replacement going. If we wanted to ship it back, could we send you $20 via paypal to ship to @Matt? Or if you tell us what the cost is, we will cover it. Thanks!

Hi John,

Yes I think $20 is enough. I can ship it back on monday, I’ll just need the
address.

Regards,
Jack

@jack.new.wl The new board will ship today. USPS tracking CJ467983960US.

Hi chris,

Thanks for the speedy actions taken. Could you give me the address for me
to ship the items back?