Windows 10 IoT Support

ok Exadon ,
I will wait for news .

Thanks

@Exadon I know, that’s why I used that link. But I wanted a technical answer from the Dexter guys why they did not get it working.

PatGet, We might add it in at some point, but for the moment, we don’t support the servos. Reason being is that the Pi is a lot more sensitive than the Arduino and we’ve found, playing around with the servos, that is can cause the Pi to crash. Servos can take a flash of really heavy loading in terms of power, which causes a voltage dip, which causes a Pi reset. There’s no good way around this, without making things more complicated for the end user and adding in a bunch of caveats to the user guide, and thus making it not really a starter kit, but a more complex hacker tool.

So in the spirit of keeping it simple, and keeping it robust, we didn’t implement the servos. If you need servos for your project, and need them controlled with a Raspberry Pi, there are a couple ways to skin that cat, happy to talk you through it on a different thread.

Best,

John

Hello Guys

Do you have any news about the rest of the drivers for windows ?
I checked the repository and there are no new sensors added .
Do you have a plan to add them ? Do you know when ? It has been a long time since the first drivers were created.

thanks

Hi,

I just started experimenting with Windows 10 IOT on my raspberry pi. I have problems installing the nuget package in my visual studio project. I created a universal app project and tried to install the package. I get the following error:

GrovePi 1.0.5 is not compatible with UAP,Version=v10.0.

Has anyone a hint for me?

thanks

Hi Guys,

I played around with the library you created. It didn’t work to use the nuget package (see previous post), however, when I simply add the project to my solution I have no problems.

I am currently trying to get the temperature and humidity sensor working (dht). I saw that there were probably alreaedy some experiments because there is already a class TemperatureAndHumiditySensor which does’t seem to work. I also found the Command enum in the grovepi class where I can find the DhtProSensor commented out.

What is the status on this? I am also experimenting to port the code from the python samples but I had no luck until now.

Regards,

Markus

Hi,

I am, like Markus (maxpg), am really interested in what the status is of the C# support is. I am really interested in using the Temperature and Humidity Sensor along with Air Quality and the High-Accuracy Barometer. It would help me make plans for several projects I have and if I should use these sensors.

I am open to support any development. It is a new area for me but I am willing to learn when somebody helps me with some directions.

Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Perry van der Meeren

Hi Perry,

for me the c# library works well now. I made made some local changes, now the temperature and humidity sensor pro works. It was actually quite simple.

I will try to contribute this to the github project, the only thing I am not sure right now is a change I made regarding sleeps when reading from the pins. I added some sleeps (the same that are used in the python scripts) because I initially had some trouble with this sensor. Not sure if I still need them the problem was in a different area.

I will make a pull request as soon as I have the minimal required change.

Regards,
Markus

Hi Markus,

Thank you a lot for your response. I noticed the sleeps in the python code also and added one sleep in to it but that didn’t do it for me, it was probably not enough :wink:
I noticed that the humidity value is not implemented yet. Did you get that done also, or know how to read it?
I am looking forward to your changes.

Regards,
Perry

Hi Guys

I am also waiting for the updates. I am looking forward to test the new code for Temperature and humidity Pro sensor.
I also need to use some other sensors not included in the C# library yet .
Do you think i can use Iron python and the full python library to access the sensors from C# ? Do you think i should give it a try ? Has anyone else tried this ? I tried a little bit but i had a lot of issues , so do you think i should spent more time with IronPython?

Thanks ,
Dimitris

Hi,

I just tried to create a branch, commit my local changes and create a Pull request. It seems I have some permission problem. As it is the first time I am trying to contribute to a GIT project I probably make some mistake here :wink:

@robsonj Can you give me a quick hint on what I have to do? Do I need to fork and do a pull request instead of a branch?

maxpg

Ok, was able to create the pull request. Lets see what the owner says to the changes. You can already grab the code from the pull request if you want to try it.

@Dimitris I also tried this a few weeks ago, I was not very successful, but I cannnot remember the problems exactly. I found it much easier to adapt the C# library. What other sensors do you need. If I have one of them at home I could try to make them work.

Regards,
maxpg

Hello Markus

I also need Collision Sensor,PiezoVibration Sensor , 3-Axis Accelerometer (±16g)
Do you have any of these ?

Thanks

Sorry, I have none of these sensors.

Hello Markus,

Because of your change I now can finish my prototype for my work.
I looked at your changes and identified how it was done in the same way in Python, but could not translate it to a working situation in C#. With your changes I can use it as example for two other sensors I want to use: Air quality sensor and Barometer (High-Accuracy). When they work I will make a pull request too to contribute to the project.

Greetings from Switzerland and thank you again.
Perry

Hi Perry,

good to hear that this helps you. I was also struggling a bit when porting things over from python. Was lucky to find the System.BitConverter and how easy it is to actually get the required data with it.

Markus

Hi guys,

Thanks for the effort you put into this library. I am trying to use the Temp & Humidity sensor with GrovePI+ and Raspberry PI 2 Model B, and I always get 1023 when doing AnalogRead, which the TemperatureInCelcius function translates to -273.15. Is there something I am missing, or do I just have a busted sensor? My code is below.

Also, are there any plans to do the humidity function? If not, is there any python, c etc code I can look at in order to implement that myself?

var deviceFactory = DeviceFactory.Build;
            var tempHumiditySensor = deviceFactory.TemperatureAndHumiditySensor(Pin.AnalogPin0, Model.OnePointTwo);
            var temperature = tempHumiditySensor.TemperatureInCelcius(); // -273.15

Thanks

Hey there appears to be a problem with the latest nugget package for GrovePi - 1.0.6.

After installing package then do a compile it complains about missing file client.winU.rd.xml

couple of people have highlighted to me and I’ve seen the same behavior.

Would be awesome to get this fixed as soon as poss…

Cheers Dave

Hey Dave, have you gone to the orignal repo by robosonj and put in a ticket on Github?

There is a new release of Windows 10 IoT Core with “a new ‘direct memory access bus’ driver that gives you the ability to run native code for the significant performance improvements in GPIO”. Details here: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/12/03/whats-new-for-windows-10-iot-this-fall/.

Although I am more familiar with C#, the least resistance path was using the Grove Pi with Python on Raspbian, but I am looking to switch at some point soon. Has anyone played with the new driver and know whether the C# library supports it (or is it transparent to the code)?

Thanks
Mitch