Cannot ping successfully[SOLVED]

All boards lit, but cannot ping successfully. have tried from both a PC and Mac with no luck.

red LED on front of RaspberryPi is solid and lit. LEDs on ethernet port are lit, green blinks intermittently.

Hey bmangran, thanks for joining us here. So it sounds like your Pi is working correctly. And it sounds like, if the ethernet lights are blinking, you have the ethernet connected correctly as well.

Next question, you’re typing in ‘ping dex.local’ is that correct? Can you post a screenshot of the failure?

Here’s a cut-and-paste of the error when I try from my MacBook Air:

Last login: Sun Dec 27 08:40:04 on console
ScottGranai:~ sgranai$ ping dex.local
ping: cannot resolve dex.local: Unknown host
ScottGranai:~ sgranai$

Can you remove the wifi dongle from the Pi, and turn wifi off on your Mac and try again? I would also unplug your ethernet cable and plug it back in after shutting all the wifi devices off.

Screenshot of my Mac wireless prefs. Looks just like p. 33, near as i can tell.

tried this, no change in the result. still giving me the cannot resolve dex.local error

Can you remove the wifi dongle from the Pi, and turn wifi off on your Mac and try again? I would also unplug your ethernet cable and plug it back in after shutting all the wifi devices off.

tried this, no change in the result. still giving me the cannot resolve dex.local error

Your network setup looks correct, it’s the same thing I have on my Macbook air as well. I wonder what else could be getting in the way. Could you have a firewall up or could you be using VPN software on your Mac?

Hey bmangran, I’ve been working on your specific issue for the last few hours. I managed to get myself in the position where I can’t ping dex.local. What I did to fix it is to assign a static ip address. This mean rather than ping dex.local, we’re going to ping a specific ip address.

I wrote a quick video of it here: https://youtu.be/q7mdXGxBuDI

Can you give this a shot? You should end up pinging something like “ping 169.254.31.58” based on the image you put above of your mac ethernet setup.

John–
Your video worked great; we followed it to the letter, added +1 to my mac’s IP address in cmdline section, and it worked great!!
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Thank you very much!

Thank you so much for coming back to us on this, I’m really glad we were able to solve the problem. It’s really gratifying to hear, for both me and for Karan. So thanks!

Also, just a quick helpful hint here: If you’re having trouble finding the IP of your Raspberry Pi on your network, we recommend using Fing Software to find the IP address and see if the Raspberry Pi is on the network; we have a tutorial on how to use it here.