DexterOS programming interface cannot switch fluidly between blocks and editible Python

Issue:

When programming in Block mode within the DexterOS interface, it is not possible to switch fluidly between block mode and editable python mode.

Why is this a valuable behavior?
Because. . . .

• As a teaching tool, being able to switch fluidly between the two modes allows the instructor to actually show what’s happening behind the scenes - i.e. that the pretty blocks actually represent lines of “real code” instead of just pretty pictures that do something.
  • As a teaching tool, it can be used to help the hobbyist - like me - learn python by writing useful programs in block-mode, transferring over to Python mode to see what I did, and then look things up to add program flourishes to the code.
  • As a (ahem!) “rapid development” environment, the block programming allows the developer to rapidly flesh-out the basics of the program and then fill-in the picky details in the editor.

I have used the block programmer mode in Make:Code for the micro:bit, (<= cleverly hidden hyperlink), and then switched over to editable JavaScript to do things the blocky editor cannot do.

It is obviously doable. The Make:Code interface is (supposedly) Open Source and has a GitHub repository. There is no reason why you cannot wander over there and steal, (oops! I meant “fork”! :wink:), their code/ideas and add it to DexterO/S

What say ye?

Jim “JR”