Documentation of the LEDs on the Gopigo3 "red board"I

I can’t find the meanings of solid red, blinking red, solid green, blinking green of the LED near the “reset button” on the red board.

2 Likes

I remembered seeing it somewhere, but had to hunt a bit to find it.
The color depends on the situation and OS being used. You can find a good description here:
https://www.dexterindustries.com/GoPiGo/get-started-with-the-gopigo3-raspberry-pi-robot/2-connect-to-the-gopigo-3/

Under the Power Up the GoPiGo3 section.
/K

2 Likes

That is the “power” LED.

• Blinking green is the “starting up” indication.
  • Solid green is the “ready” indication.*
  • Solid yellow is the “low battery” caution indication.
  • Solid red is the “low battery” warning.
  • Blinking red is the “shutting down” indication.
  • Blinking purple is (AFAIK) the “I don’t know what is going on” indication, but I could be wrong.

Note that all of these indications are only valid when using a Dexter Industries / Modular Robotics operating system. (i.e. Raspbian for Robots, GoPiGo OS, or Dexter OS)

It will continue to blink green when using any other O/S.

* The actual robot isn’t fully ready until the antenna LED lights.

1 Like

Update:

Blinking purple is the indication that the GoPiGo has finished shutting down with power being supplied from another source instead of and/or along with battery power.

Blinking purple is also the indication that the GoPiGo is shutting down if power is only being applied via the Raspberry Pi and/or some other external power source that is not via the GoPiGo’s battery connector.  In that case, shutdown is shown by a flashing purple power LED, and it continues flashing purple after shutdown is complete.

If power is also being supplied by the GoPiGo’s battery connector at the same time, shutdown is signalled by a flashing red power LED as is normal, them becomes flashing purple.

Example #1:
If I plug Charlie into +12v via the battery connector AND supply +5v via the Raspberry Pi power connector, the GoPiGo power LED flashes red during shutdown, and then flashes purple at the end of shut down.

Example #2:
If the GoPiGo is powered exclusively by the Raspberry Pi’s power connector, (i.e. no battery power), the power LED flashes purple both during shutdown and afterwards.

It may also flash purple if the GoPiGo board ends up in an unknown state, but this is un-confirmed.

Again, it should be noted that these patterns are only valid if the robot is running a Dexter Industries or Modular Robotics GoPiGo operating system.

2 Likes