Does GoPiGo3 still really need Python 2?

I just installed the GoPiGo3 software (specifically see the highlighted section here ) and noticed that the update_gopigo3 script installed Python 2 on my Raspi 3 B+. Is it true that some part of GoPiGo3 still needs Python 2?

2 Likes

There was a period before Python2.7 was officially obsoleted, that the install script was forcing Python2. IIRC it had something to do with needing to port the GoPiGo3 GUI tools that used a version of QT that did not run in Python 3, but I believe eventually @cleoqc upgraded everything to use Python 3. That said your options include --bypass-GUI-instllation, and I thought the current default usepython3exec=true removed the python2 installation.

So when you type ```python --version" you get 2.7?

I still haven’t figured out when to use pip and when pip3, but I converted all my project code to start with:

#!/usr/bin/python3

even when Python2.7 was still available.

Carl is running 2020 Buster with python --version returning 2.7, but all his code was ported to run as Python3 with Python3.7.3. I think the GoPiGo3 eggs are installed in both compilers dist dirs.

Wow, my memory of just three years ago is totally fogged. Too many OS installations tested - Raspbian For Robots, DexterOS, GoPiGo OS, PiOS Buster, Bullseye, Bullseye 64-bit, Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04, 23.10, and just now 64-bit PiOS Bookworm Desktop confirmed works (with my custom install - cleoqc is testing with PiOS Bookworm so maybe ModRobotics will support it at some point. (Major porting needed for GoPiGo3 Clock Stretching I2C and I think all their educational collateral is based around the GoPiGo OS now.)

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, there are still some hard dependencies on Python 2.n, especially in some of the control panel utilities.

Note:
We really should bite the bullet and update things to the latest version of python and just dump the cruft!

1 Like