dSolar Panel

I have tried to use the dsolar panel with the EV3 intelligent brick and it will not work. As soon as I try to run the program it turns off. There is plenty of sunlight. I don’t know what’s wrong. Does the brick need to stay on for a certain amount of time powered by the panel before I can run a program? Help.

We’ve tested the EV3 with the dSolar quite a bit.

What are you trying to run on the EV3, what’s involved with your program?
Is the EV3 turning on at all? What behavior is it showing?
Does the EV3 work with regular batteries in int?
Have you used the dSolar with an NXT device?

I’m just trying to run a simple program where the brick moves forward for 10 rotations. The brick will turn on but as soon as I try to run the program it shuts off. It does work with regular batteries with no problems. I have tried using the capacitor bank with it also, but nothing is working. I have not used the dSolar with an NXT device. I just got the EV3 and solar panel a few weeks ago. I’m new to all of this. I am trying to get the Solar powered car from the lesson plan to work.

Ok, I think you might be trying to draw too much power from the Solar panel. Can you try:

• Increasing your exposure to sunlight (must be outside, and sunny).
  • Disconnect the motors, does it still crash?

OK so to disconnect the motors you mean to unplug the black cords from the motor and the ports?

Yes, please disconnect the motors. Pull the black lines from the EV3 that are connected to the motors.

ok sorry to keep asking questions but am I suppose to keep one end in the ports and put the other ends in the ones labeled 1 , 2, 3, 4 or just disconnect from everything?

Probably safe to disconnect from everything.

It is still not working.

Can you describe a little more about what’s happening? It’s still not working is a little limited . . . does it start and stop? Turn on at all?

And where are you trying to use it? Can you describe the environment a little more? Outside? Sunny, cloudy? Arizona or Alaska?

It will turn on, but as soon as I go to the program and try to run it the brick shuts off.

And where are you trying to use it? Can you describe the environment a little more? Outside? Sunny, cloudy? Arizona or Alaska?