Fail to update firmware on GoPiGo3 using BusterOS on RPi4

Hello!

My GoPiGo3 is currently running using BusterOS on Raspberry Pi 4B and I’m running some problems when doing sudo ./firmware_update.sh (i’ve also disconnected the motors beforehand)

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

Here’s my troubleshooting logs. log.txt (5.9 KB)

FYI, I’m working in a python virtual environment and so I updated the gopigo software with the following command.

bash update_gopigo.sh --env-local

Any idea what could be wrong with my setup ?

Thanks!

I don’t think the GoPiGo3 software is compatible with Buster yet (quote from 27 days ago).

This quote from 5 days ago:

-Kevin

1 Like

Welcome @z.jia.hu!

Progress is being made on the Pi-4/Buster front, but it’s still not engraved in stone just yet:

Part of the problem is that the Pi-4 is sooo very different than any Pi that has come before, to the point of being a totally different beastie. As a consequence, the version of Raspbian that runs it is it’s own beastie too - and the differences are not trivial.

Result:
Re-spinning Raspbian-for-Robots isn’t as simple as dropping in a config file or two. It sounds more like spinning a whole new distribution! (Mint-for-Robots anyone?)

I’m eager to get my hands on it and destroy it… (Make that read “provide valuable feedback”!! Sorry @cleoqc, I couldn’t resist!)

Maybe you can give it a try too and tell us what happened?

Welcome in!

Jim “JR”