Freedesktop in Raspbian for Robots?

I have configured a microSD card with Raspian for Robots in preparation for a new GoPiGo3, and see in /var/log/syslog entries about some services called “freedesktop”.

What is the purpose of freedesktop in Raspbian for Robots?

Man, this post made me smile! Glad to see someone actually poking there nose deep in stuff!

Great question. So basically it has something to do with the display. Yah I know it’s more complex than that! Lol… I will definitely look into it so I can explain it in full detail.

The part that was disconcerting were the entries that seemed to say my Pi was checking some Internet URL for authorized freedesk users, but looking closer “org.freedesk.Accounts” is probably a local socket.

The reason I was even reading the logs was that clicking on the “vNC session” button, when browsing my Raspbian for Robot’s IP Apache2 landing page, went straight in without requesting a password; The default password is passed in the link… The “Terminal session” link did ask for my (changed) password. Probably, I just need to figure out how to change the vNC server password as part of my “robot set-up instructions”.

So do you still have questions?

I “think” I’m good. I don’t know how to assess if the freedesk display manager is a vulnerability, but it appears to be in the base Raspbian, not special with Raspbian for Robots.

I changed the tightvnc password (vncpasswd), which turns off the browser VNC access as desired.

( I use Mac Remote Desktop into the tightvnc server when I want to work with camera programs. )

After reading the research report: Scanning the Internet for ROS: A View of Security in Robotics Research I’m trying to remain cognizant of vulnerabilities.