Getting Started (Newbie Challenges)

Hi
Have the brought the pi’s and groves, sensors and run with the SD wheesy file BUT can’t change the directory as per the LED BLINK tutorial…it won’t let me do it… Error no such directory exists or tells me it exists but wont actually change the directory …what I need to do is change the directory to run the python scripts…any help would be much appreciated

Stephen

Hey,
Sorry for the troubles that you are facing. Are you using a Dexter Industries SD card or Image or your own. If you are using you own image, have you cloned the Github repository with all the code?

-Karan

Hey,
Sorry for the troubles that you are facing. Are you using a Dexter Industries SD card or Image or your own. If you are using you own image, have you cloned the Github repository with all the code?

-Karan

Hi Karan

Thanks for the interest.,.I need to download the repository BUT I can’t seen to even change the directory to desktop

using cd/home/pi/Desktop …I get no such file or directory? won’t change the directory? have tried both the Linux and root terminals

any suggestions?

thanks

Stephen,

Can you post a screenshot of what you’re trying to do, or a take a picture with you phone and post it?

Also, if you try running “ls” what do you see? Can you post a photo of this as well?

Stephen,

Can you post a screenshot of what you’re trying to do, or a take a picture with you phone and post it?

Also, if you try running “ls” what do you see? Can you post a photo of this as well?

Thanks again for you interest. I can’t take a picture at the moment. I fire up the pi with the Dester Industries SD card. I go to the LX terminal and to change the directory type:
cd/home/pi/Desktop/
and get
bash: cd/home/pi/Desktop/: no such file or directory??

the pwd gives me
/home/pi/

any suggestions would be appreciated

Stephen

Hey,
Is there a space b/w cd and the path. Try cd /home/pi/Desktop/.

-Karan

Stephen,
If that doesn’t work, can you list the directory in you home path? Just run “ls” and what do you see?

Also, it’s not clear from your above responses: where are you getting the SD card from? Are you using an SD Card you got from Dexter Industries?

Hi Karan

many thanks…newbie teething!!..was not putting the space in…can’t wait to get the LED to blink… again thanks for your help.

Are now trying to get LED to blink but more problems!!! will keep trying and post another question

Stephen

Thanks John for you reply …are still having some frustrations in getting things working will do another post after some more attempts…are following the Dexter instructions using their download weasey image…maybe the weasey is caught a cold!!!

Maybe. But to be honest, it sounds though like you’re missing some key parts of the introduction material we wrote out here (http://www.dexterindustries.com/GrovePi/get-started-with-the-grovepi/)

Can you point to a specific step that did not work for you? If we made a mistake in our documentation, we would like to know to correct it asap.

Hi John

Just to clarify

I have to

1. get the brick pi image on the SD card …I have done this
  2. Clone the Github repository
  3. Run the bash scripts

Is this the sequence?..would be helpful to number the steps if this is the case?

Also would it be easier to just configure my own image (seems easier than configuring a SD card for each device)…are planning on having a number set up for a classroom environment

thanks

Stephen * can’t wait to get that led flashing!!!

Stephen,
Are you working with the BrickPi or GrovePi? I see both referenced here.

I would strongly recommend you do one of the following:
1). Use our pre-burned sd cards. We have the image and software setup and ready to go. You can purchase them here.

2). Burn our image to an SD Card. You can find this information here, step by step.

I would strongly recommend buying one though, it sounds like you’re new to Linux. This might be one less hurdle to getting started.