I picked up a GoPiGo yesterday and the build went fine. I put it together with my son. I then tried to set it up but ran into a few issues. I did not get any response trying to SSH or VNC over ethernet. I then decided to just boot the GoPiGo as a desktop (I am using a RPi B+). I configured the Wi-Fi and after that I was able to SSH into the GoPiGo. I tried the basic commands using the sudo python basic_test_all.py program. It seemed to respond to most of the controls and commands although I noticed when it went forward it was fine but seemed to sputter going backwards and sometimes not at all.
I then decided to update the firmware and DI software. I did disconnect the motor before updating and the update scripts indicated the software and the firmware updates were successful. I watched the video on the troubleshooting program and decided to run that. It ran but the motor barely turned the wheel one direction and then barely the other way. The test said it finished correctly but based on the video I expected the wheels to spin much more. I also smelled an electronic burn smell. I disconnected and then was still able to successfully SSH into GoPiGo. The commands for movement resulted in no movement at all. It did not even sound like it was trying. Other SSH commands for information seem to still work (I can flash the LEDs, get the trim value, check the voltage) etc.
I have included the Log File.