GoPiGo on Steroids? How about a Balena Fin for your Pi!

I saw this and was thinking. . . . (always dangerous, that “thinking” stuff)

Instead of Charlie the Bug-Mobile, we’d have Charlie-ZILLA! The GoPiGo Monster from Hell!

It actually runs a version of the Pi, so it might even work!

It has memory capacities up to 64 gig. Dual camera, RTC, dedicated co-processor, the works! Kind-of like a Jetson NANO en petite, based on the Pi Compute module. SLAM? SLAM-DUNK!

That is, if you have an extra two-or-three hundred laying around with nothing better to do.
:wink: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Sort of - two Raspberry Pi 3B would also get two cameras, twice as many compute cores, with the same idle current.

I have never run out of physical memory, (or seen swap go much above 5%), and am barely able to use one camera so far. The “Fin” just doesn’t seem like a good value proposition, for “mere mortal” robots.

The idea of augmenting my general purpose Pi 3B with a specific purpose image processor Hat - that seems like the future - (several years in the future).

The 8GB is on sale for $99 - just sayin’.

1 Like

Hi…you cannot use hardware designed for the RPI or a compute module with an x86 laptop! The laptop doesn’t have the GPIO logic the PI has.

That said, there is an USB device that can be used to give a laptop limited GPIO hardware.

1 Like

Looks like it breaks out all of the Raspberry Pi headers, so you could probably figure out how to get the GoPiGo3 board to work with it. RTC doesn’t get me much, and I only use the one camera for a POV picture when navigating. I didn’t see much about the coprocessor - not sure if it would help ROS run any better. I have always thought more memory is better, but as @cyclicalobsessive has pointed out, I’m probably not using all I have (I really do need to check that).
/K

1 Like

I’m not exactly sure where this is going.

If you are saying that Raspberry Pi Hats, (or other Raspberry Pi specific hardware), cannot be used with a PC, you are correct.   Neither can you use any other kind of dedicated hardware, (or automotive burglar alarms, solar wind panels, etc.), without designing an adapter or interface.

If you are saying that you cannot interface Raspberry Pi hardware and/or devices to a PC, that might be a smidge off.

@cyclicalobsessive, @KeithW, and others, (myself included), have combined the Pi and a PC to do things neither one could do alone.

If you, somehow or other, want to model or virtualize the Pi and it’s hardware; that’s a non-trivial exercise even when compared to the creation of the Raspberry Pi itself.

Can you clarify?

Thanks!