GoPiGo3 Standoff Specifics?

What are the specs (size and screw size) for the GoPiGo3 standoffs:

• Top Plate Standoffs?
  • GoPiGo3 Board to RPi Board Standoffs?
2 Likes

@cyclicalobsessive,

Breakout your micrometer and measure the standoffs. I suspect that they probably have metric threads.

The DI replacement chassis kit does not list the hardware sizes and neither does the “Hardware and Port Description” Document.

You will probably have to call DI and ask for that information.

Regards,
Tom C

3 Likes

I know this is about 4 years old. However, I had the same question and, since it doesn’t seem to have been answered, I thought I would give the info here rather than create a new topic. The info below is based on micrometer measurements and, where I can, a fit test with known screw sizes.

Silver Standoffs (non- or, at best, semi-ferromagnetic steel as far as I can tell) are M3 thread (measured 2.9 mm and fit tested with M3 screws that I have. Lengths are 10 mm (measured 9.9 mm), 25 mm (measured 24.9 mm) and 45 mm (measured 45.0 mm)

Brass Standoff is M2.5 thread (measured 2.4 mm - could not fit test because I lack such screws). Length is 18 mm (measured 17.98 mm).

Question for @cyclicalobsessive: You have 4 levels and a lot of standoffs on Dave. Are they all some combination of these GoPiGo standoffs (and screws) in the robot kit? Or did you purchase some other sizes? If the latter, what other standoffs / screws (and in what sizes) did you acquire? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, combination of the standoffs that came with the GoPiGo3 kit, and one:

The two reasons I went this way:

1. so I could mount “Dave” on top
  2. so I could move the battery closer to the center of gravity to minimize weight on the castor to maximize turn accuracy and repeatability.

It is quite possible more turn accuracy is obtained through the SLAM, than through optimizing the encoder based turn accuracy and repeatability, but since I wanted another platform at the top for Dave, moving the battery inward became easy also.

3 Likes