GoPiGo3 vs GoPiGo - what are the advantages over the old platform?

We have the GoPiGo2 and we’re thinking of buying the GoPiGo3 but we’re having a hard time figuring out what the 3 can do that the 2 can’t. I tried using the contact form a month ago but nobody ever got back to me so i thought I’d try the forum and see if I can get an answer that way.

Thank you in advance!

Hi @rexmagoo,

The big differences of the GoPiGo3 over the old GoPiGo are:

1. A completely redesigned hardware that is way more robust and reliable.

2. The robot itself is a lot sturdier and it can take more when it falls down the floor.

3. A redesigned software architecture that makes developing easier and it’s closer to the modern standards. We have moved away from procedural programming to object-oriented programming.

4. The sensors are better-supported because we continuously work on improving them.

5. A much better documentation than what we used to have. Check the new documentation here: http://gopigo3.readthedocs.io

6. Example projects that are cool to brag with :smiley: I mean, you really have to check this github page where we keep our projects. You are going to love them - check them independently. https://github.com/DexterInd/GoPiGo3/tree/master/Projects

Here’s a project we’ve just released a couple of weeks ago and that is a big advancement over what we had:

@JohnC, @Matt, @cleoqc, if we have other projects that we want to show, please post them here. Idem for benefits over the old platform.

@rexmagoo hope you like our new platform. We’d appreciate some feedback from you.

Thank you!

One cool project in particular that the GPG3 supports that the GPG2 doesn’t, is the BalanceBot. It turns the GPG3 into a two-wheeled balancing robot (expansion pack required).

Thank you for the information. That’s just what we were looking for.

Just wondering why the BalanceBot uses the Raspian for Robots and not the DexterOS. Should we assume that we should keep 2 mini-SDs loaded with each operating system at all times just for cases like this?

Hey @rexmagoo maybe I can help answer a few of these questions:

We don’t have this supported in Bloxter at the moment (the graphical programming language) but it can be run from Python. The reason we don’t have it in Bloxter is that we haven’t quite figured out what to do with it in Bloxter. There are a lot of advanced concepts in the balancebot project, in particular Math concepts like PID and other engineering level maths. The way it’s built right now, it’s geared for a college/high school level course, with possibly geometry and calc already understood.

What would a Bloxter level user get out of this?

Big advantages of GoPiGo3 over GoPiGo2 that may be relevant for your classroom:

1. Heavier acrylic. This will survive the classroom a lot easier, being 50% thicker and much stronger.
  2. Better encoders. The new GoPiGo3 has incredibly precise motors and wheels. This let’s you move a specific number of cm, simply by programming.
  3. Better hardware. We made a lot of improvements, including power mangement, easier assembly, and better support for the components. It’s an all around better design.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for all the information. We’re sold. Ordered the GoPiGo3 base kit (already had an extra Pi 3) and the BalanceBot kit. Very excited to play with these.

1 Like

OUr pleasure. Any thoughts on how we could make a balancebot relevant in to the classroom and DexterOS?

A post was split to a new topic: Your GoPiGo and BrickPi Orders