GPS Guided Robot

Hey,

I’m following the tutorial here (http://www.dexterindustries.com/GoPiGo/projects/python-examples-for-the-raspberry-pi/example-project-a-raspberry-pi-gps-guided-robot-with-the-gopigo/).
I have the Grove GPS installed. However, after running the python script, i’m unable to capture data.
Do I have to cross the wires like they mentioned in the tutorial?

Hi fawazalm,
Yeah, you would have to cross the wires to make it work.

-Karan

Hello Karan,

Even though I crossed the wires, I still couldn’t capture data.
Any ideas of what the problem may be?

If we backup, what version of the GoPiGo are you using?

I’m using the latest versions of the GoPiGo and the Grove GPS module.

This should not require a switching of the lines. On the GPG2 the lines are not reversed for serial I think. Just to confirm, your GPG came with a velcro strap for the battery pack, right?

Yes. Even when I don’t switch the lines it still wouldn’t work. Could the problem be software related?

Do you have a logic analyzer avalable to check the lines? What I would like to do is check the serial data back and forth on the serial line and make sure that the GPS module is working.

No, unfortunately I don’t have one. Is there any other way to check if the GPS module is working?

Let me give it a shot, I am working on a project with these parts at the moment.

Can you try this code to test if your GPS sensor is working:

What’s the output? Do you get a full GPRMC string out?

Hello John,

Yes, I got the a similar output.

$GPGGA,000047.799,0,0,M,M,*4C

$GPGSA,A,1,*1E

$GPGSV,1,1,00*79

$GPRMC,000047.799,V,0.00,0.00,060180,N*46

$GPGGA,000048.799,0,0,M,M,*43

$GPGSA,A,1,*1E

$GPGSV,1,1,00*79

$GPRMC,000048.799,V,0.00,0.00,060180,N*49

$GPGGA,000049.799,0,0,M,M,*42

$GPGSA,A,1,*1E

$GPGSV,1,1,00*79

Great, that means your sensor is working. That’s great news! You may need to add a 0.001 or 0.01 delay before the serial read of the GPS to make the other program work though.

YES, IT WORKED!
Thank you so much for your help!

Good deal. Did you make any changes to the files? Would you mind making a pull request if you did?