Grove - digital infrared temperature sensor

(Sorry for spamming topics, I got a lot of sensors that I’m trying to get to work this week and one topic per sensor seemed apropo.)

I got the Grove - Digital Infrared Temperature Sensor, but I really can’t get it to work.

I don’t get any readings from it at all. I just don’t get an error when talking to it using id 0x5b, so I know it’s there and listening on i2c - but none of the registers from 0x10 to 0x2f give any bytes back on i2c. (Filled as 0xff.)

Did anyone get it to work?

Hi Mirar,
This is a pretty new sensor and is on our list of things to get working with the GrovePi. We haven’t yet got the sensor from Seeed because they have a shortage of a lot of the newer sensors. I’ll update you as soon as we get the new sensors and get a library working for them.

-Karan

No problem about the posts. I am really happy that you are taking the time and effort to get the sensors working with the GrovePi and we would be happy to help you out in any way possible.

It seems that you are much more interested in getting the sensors working in C. Can you send pull requests to https://github.com/DexterInd/GrovePi/tree/master/Software/C. I also noticed that the C folder is empty. Have you built a GrovePi C library, if no I can quickly make something that should work with most of the basic functions and it would be great if you could try it out.

-Karan

Pity about the shortage - at least there should be other people out there that want to get the units working, then…

No, I haven’t really started a library - basically I just did this for the i2c.
I’m a C programmer normally (usually without OS), so C is easier for me than Python. :slight_smile:

Hi Mirar,

Did you ever get this working? I’m trying to use this sensor connected directly to a Raspberry Pi 3 and getting 0xFF only also.

@joep.oude.veldhuis: can you try out the code mentioned here or here or here . It might take a little effort to get them to work and it might not work too.

@mirar: any updated on the C code that you were working on.