GrovePi Firmware 0.0.0.0

Hi.

I had been having no success running any Windows IoT Core demos so I thought I’d try Raspbian.

I downloaded the Dexter Wheezy distro and have been able to connect to my Rasperry Pi2 with GrovePi attached okay.

I ran a software update and that took a while.

I checked the firmware of my GrovePi and it got reported as 0.0.0.0 which I’m guessing can’t be right.

I ran i2cdetect and got values reported (including 04) in all positions of the output, so different from the Get Started guide.

I then tried updating the firmware, but it reports avrdude: AVR device not responding, initialization failed no=1, then the Updating the GrovePi Firmware line comes up.

I’ve left that for an hour or more and nothing else is reported, no progress on updating the firmware or anything, is my (new) GrovePi just broken?

HELP!

Thanks,

Martin

Hey Martin, do you have a screenshot of running the updating the firmware script?

Hey Martin,
Can you run the troubleshooting script with the instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMadpIEYq5o for the GrovePi and upload the log on the forums here. Can you also post some pictures of the GrovePi. This will help us find the problem that you are facing.

-Karan

Hi Karan,

Here you go!

If I run the update firmware script I basically get the last part of the attached, about the AVR device not responding.

Sorry but the file seems to have lost its end of lines, so if you need me to run again, let me know, I used Bitvise to transfer, so…

Thanks,

Martin

Hey,
Can you post a few pictures of your GrovePi setup and how you are powering it. Also, when and from where did you buy the GrovePi from.

-karan

Hey Karan,

Here you go…

I bought the Raspberry Pi2 and GrovePi Starter Kit from AusPi Technologies.

This is what I actually bought:

http://www.buyraspberrypi.com.au/shop/grove-pi-complete-kit-includes-raspberry-pi/

Power is just via the regular mini USB supply provided with the kit linked.

Cheers,

Martin

Hey,
Looks like you have got an older GrovePi. Can you follow the instructions here:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fe2uCjoLpAE6Vt2HS28n_dhSfbVXZ1p-PhG1aEvIQSM/edit?usp=sharing to update the firmware on the GrovePi and let us know if it works for you.

-Karan

Hi Karan,

Yeah I don’t have any of the stuff I need to do that, so that’s not going to be possible. I also don’t want to run the risk of frying my Raspberry Pi2 and having no kit at all.

I did run the firmware_update.sh via SSH and got the same result as in the troubleshooting, so firmware version reported as 0.0.0, and AVR device not responding.

Not sure why I would have such an old GrovePi as I only ordered it 6 weeks ago, although did notice most of the sensors in the Starter Kit seem to be dated 2014…

I’ve ordered a replacement from you guys that dispatched today, and I’ll follow up with my local supplier otherwise I’m potentially out of pocket by $140 (AU).

Thanks for trying to get it working, looks like I’m not going to be able to do that final step.

Cheers,

Martin

Hey Martin,
I am really sorry for the experience you had with the GrovePi starter kit. Maybe you can ask the distributor to send you a newer GrovePi board if they have it.

If you have ordered a newer board, do let us know how it works out for you.

-Karan