Grovepi GPS not providing any data

Hi @RobertLucian

using LEDs is a good idea too, I will try to test my serial port in the coming days and will let you know if i am able to find any issues with them. I have used my cell phone to determine that from where I have positioned the gps module it should have anywhere between 15-20 satellites in view, atleast that is number of satellites in view for GPS on my phone, when i place it directly besides the grove gps module.
I also wanted to ask if there is any example in the GrovePI NodeJS library that deals with the serial port ?
I looked through the NodeJs library and example sensors, I did not find any sensor in their that was dealing or using serial port.

thank you

Hi @rameez.saleem,

Regarding the NodeJS library, no I don’t think so. We might ask @marcello-barile as he is the contributor to the NodeJS library.

Let me know how your tests will wind up.

Thank you!

hi @rameez.saleem,
unfortunately I don’t have a GPS sensor with me, that’s why you don’t find it in the Node.js library. I also confirm you that there is no base class nor other examples for a serial sensor.

Best,
Marcello

Hi @RobertLucian @cleoqc

I spent the entire weekend debugging serial port and Grove GPS, Here are my findings

• If i connect the GPS module directly to the RX TX of the Raspberry PI module and open the serial port through putty it works.

• However If connect the grovePI Board then the serial port does not work. I tried debugging the serial port with both GrovePI+ attached and also with GrovePI+ board removed.

I tested the serial port using the following methods, I attached two wires to raspberry PI RX TX and shorted them, then I opened the serial port through putty and sent key strokes, The data is shown if GrovePI+ is not attached. I also tested the gps module if i connect it directly with my raspberry PI and open the serial port i get GPS data. Please have a look at the attached pic and screen shot.RXTX screenShot

if i repeat the same procedure by attaching wires to RX TX on the pins of GrovePI+, or directly to the RPIserial port on the board then nothing appears on the console.

What could be preventing serial port from working when I attach the grovePI to my raspberry PI?

Hi @rameez.saleem,

That’s really odd. Can you share the code you are running with us?

Also, can you show us what is the output of ls -l /dev/ser* command?

Thank you!

Hi @RobertLucian

I have tested the serial port by running the python GPS script i.e. “Grove_gps_hardware_test.py” provided with GrovePI python library.
I also have tested it opening the serial port directly through Putty when GPS module is attached.

In both cases serial port works and I get GPS data but only if GrovePI board is not attached with raspberry pi.
If I attach the grovePI board neither of the methods work i.e. neither through putty or by running the python script from grovePI library.

Thankyou

Hi @rameez.saleem,

Me and @cleoqc have tried the GPS with the GrovePi and we are getting an output from it.

We installed the GrovePi library, changed /boot/config.txt to use /dev/ttyAMA0 (aka the HW serial), rebooted and then ran dextergps.py script. Here’s how the /boot/config.txt looks like again:

dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
enable_uart=1

After this, you will get output from the GPS but there’s still one more thing to do. Once in a while, the script will fail due to an exception called SerialException. To avoid that, you also need to remove both console= assignments in /boot/cmdline.txt. Once you change that, reboot and launch dextergps.py script.

Let us know if it works for you.

Thank you!

Once you’ve done the changes to /boot/config.txt and /boot/cmdline.txt
you can also try to see if you’re getting anything from running this command:
sudo python -m serial.tools.miniterm /dev/ttyAMA0

Word of warning, when I ran it, it had so much data I wasn’t able to stop it! Prepare a second terminal so you can kill it.

Hello,

I’m new to this, and i have the exact same problem.

Raspian for Robots, Rasp PI3B+, GrovePI 1.4.0, latests SDK, and Python 2.7 / 3.5

/boot/config.txt =>
dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
enable_uart=1

/boot/cmdline
removed the 2 “console” entries

I can’t get any data from GroveGPS (SIM28), plugged in RASPISER.

all py scripts do the same " "

sudo python -m serial.tools.miniterm /dev/ttyAMA0
— Miniterm on /dev/ttyAMA0 9600,8,N,1 —
— Quit: Ctrl+] | Menu: Ctrl+T | Help: Ctrl+T followed by Ctrl+H —
␀␀␀␀�␀ ␂␀␀␀␂␀0␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␓␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␂␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␁␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀0␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀␀

I tried inside and outside… no difference…

any advice ?

S

note : sometimes, i see it works…

wait 1 day…
then set LedBar level (Digital port7) to 10 instead of 0… and… tadaaa… suddently works… it starts sending datas…

seems weird… and related…

S