GrovePi+: grove_rgb_lcd.py: IOError: [Errno 121] Remote I/O Error

@fam I moved your issue out to a dedicated thread:

1 Like

Perhaps adding a wait after SMBbus I2C bus connection will fix?

In grove_rgb_lcd.py:

import time,sys

if sys.platform == 'uwp':
    import winrt_smbus as smbus
    bus = smbus.SMBus(1)
else:
    import smbus
    import RPi.GPIO as GPIO
    rev = GPIO.RPI_REVISION
    if rev == 2 or rev == 3:
        bus = smbus.SMBus(1)
    else:
        bus = smbus.SMBus(0)
    time.sleep(1)          #  <<----   To eliminate IOError:  [Errno 121]  Remote I/O error

1 Like

Nope. Didn’t help :frowning:

2 Likes

Mystery.

Also try running with python3

Also try running with sudo python

1 Like

Tried all of that. I guess the problem lies in the installation of the grovepi software. This command

sudo curl -kL dexterindustries.com/update_grovepi | bash

aborts with

AssertionError: sorry, but this version only supports 100 named groups

Should the grovepi board be installed on the raspi during installation? Didn’t try the software installation without the board installed yet.

2 Likes

No that will not make a difference.

I don’t know if the script aborts or just that package install.

I don’t have any of the hardware, so my ability to help you is really limited.

The software for the GrovePi was designated end of life when Modular Robotics bought Dexter Industries and stopped selling and supporting the GrovePi. (Hence the “Archives” tag to all GrovePi posts.)

In the forum, I have seen one recent GrovePi owner that had eventual success using Buster, and another had eventual success on Bullseye, but in both cases the update_grovepi script did not successfully create a working system. The folks had to “fix” the installs.

Your particular case of trying with an “original” Raspberry Pi causes suspicion on my part. There were some I2C changes way back when, but I don’t know much about the hardware changes, or the software from 10 years ago.

1 Like

Ok. Is there any other way to use the rgb lcd with a RasPi - preferably with Java?

2 Likes

@fam,

I have been researching install issues with the GoPiGo-3 libraries and I have noticed that same assertion error.

It is an error in the installation process, (it’s part of the error-line noted by the exception handler when it throws the error.)  I do not know what, if any, side effects there may be because of it.

I am continuing to research this, though I cannot promise a rapid reply as I am working on something different.

I also have a Grove+ board.  (Hidden somewhere that I should dig out and start a new line of research with.)

If you can wait a bit, I will dig into that error and help you find an answer.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. Meanwhile I will try further, too.

2 Likes

It’s not just for you, :wink:, this has been driving me, (and everyone else!), bonkers for a while now.

It’s just recently, while trying to port things to Bullseye and Bookworm, that we’ve finally gotten around to addressing this seriously.

Any help that you can provide would be most gratefully appreciated!

1 Like