Hi all, Im trying to use the gps shield to tell me vehicle speed. Unfortunately i cant seem to figure out whats going on. It tells me the speed for a small amount of time, then says 0 mph for a few seconds, then tells me my actual speed again. Im sure its something simple with the library but I cant seem to find any documentation of the functions besides the example code.
Heres the code im running on my arduino duemilanova.
im currently printing to an i2c LCD.
This program demonstrates the dGPS library from Dexter Industries for Arduino
For use with the Dexter Industries GPS Shield. The dGPS can be found here:
This code was originally based on the work of others. You can see the original work here:
- SoftwareSerial Library: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial
- GPS Tutorial: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Tutorials/GPS
See our Arduino GPS Converting Coordinates for information on converting coordinates
from GPS Style Coordinates (ddmm.ssss) to Decimal Style Coordinates (dd.mmssss).
How it works:
- The dGPS requires the SoftwareSerial.h library.
- The GPS is initialized in the setup function.
- The GPS is updated: values for location, time, etc, are updated using the “.update” function.
- The values are read using their respective calls. These values stay the same until “update” is called again.
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27, 2, 1, 0, 4, 5, 6, 7, 3, POSITIVE); // Set the LCD I2C address
// Software serial TX & RX Pins for the GPS module
// Initiate the software serial connection
float desLat=0; //Destination Latitude filled by user in Serial Monitor Box
float desLon=0; //Destination Longitude filled by user in Serial Monitor Box
dGPS dgps = dGPS(); // Construct dGPS class
float MPH = 0;
Serial.end(); // Close any previously established connections
Serial.begin(9600); // Serial output back to computer. On.
dgps.init(); // Run initialization routine for dGPS.
dgps.update(desLat, desLon); // Calling this updates the GPS data. The data in dGPS variables stays the same unless
// this function is called. When this function is called, the data is updated.
MPH = (dgps.Vel())*1.15;