How to be a leader and creator, not a follower and user - read the APIs

Wow, we’re getting deep here on the “robots are life” forums.

This also is why I always wanted to to be part of a team, and not the leader.

If you want to be a leader, a creator - read the APIs, ignore the examples.

1 Like

I’m not good about reading the APIs either. But I know a fair number of creative people who learn from the examples as well - it’s a good place to start. Then when you want to/need to get more into the weeds you can tackle the APIs.
/K

2 Likes

I disagree.

Read the documentation, then create test cases, (examples), to verify what’s written as it’s not unusual for documentation to be out of date.

2 Likes

Well, don’t ignore them, just don’t forget their purpose is to demonstrate some portion of the API.

2 Likes

Oh that the world would listen to that gem.

2 Likes

But the examples only buy you so much.

One thing I’ve always said is that “‘Why’ is the quality question.”

If you have “what”, you only know something about one particular case in one particular way.

If you have “why” you can get what, when, how, where, and anything else you might need to know.

1 Like

I barely remember what my wife just said, trying to think why would she say (what I misunderstood) is exactly where I fail every time.

2 Likes

Women’s brains and thought processes are the canonical example of a chaotic domain.

1 Like

Perhaps men have chaos down to a business and science, and women have it under control?

2 Likes

Without going too far down the anthropology rat-hole, when you think about it, it makes sense.

Cave men and women had to be wired differently in order to survive.

Men learned to develop intense abilities to concentrate.

When hunting a gigantic pre-historic bear or a saber toothed tiger, concentration was key. One tiny distraction and YOU were dinner, not the tiger!

Women, on the other hand, needed to efficiently multi-task to survive.

Food to gather and prepare, multiple children doing their best to win a Darwin Award, fell beasties who want your cave, and a hundred other things had to be dealt with simultaneously in real time.

Like I said, it makes sense, but it’s still a pain.

1 Like

When I think about it, I’m worried I’m going to piss someone off so it’s best not to think too hard. (I never learned how to be ok with being wrong.)

2 Likes

I remember a billboard I read awhile back that said:

“You haven’t failed, you just haven’t finished succeeding yet.”

(One of my favorites)
"Did you try and [then] fail, or did you fail to try?

In the book Supercarrier, a documentary book where the author went on an entire deployment on the John F Kennedy, he interviewed the captain of the ship and talked about his management style.

His reply?

“I expect mistakes, almost to the point of encouraging them, because if you don’t make mistakes, you’re not trying hard enough.”
:+1:

2 Likes

Not to get too far off topic, but there is at least some evidence calling that notion into question https://www.voanews.com/americas/stone-age-women-hunted-big-game-study-finds.

/K

2 Likes

Absolutely true.

And today you find women as software/hardware engineers, (@cleoqc, are you listening?), auto mechanics, and so on.

However, (as most anthropologists will tell you), that after the girl gets married and has children, they won’t be doing that much big game hunting.

Of course, any hunting/fishing that can be done near the children is fair game, or when they get older and need to learn the fundamentals - momma gets her spear and shows 'em who’s the BOSS!

1 Like