HumbleDave's Launch File Approved By The God Of Slam-Toolbox

In attempting to learn how to do localization using Slam-Toolbox, I stumbled at understanding why the localization launch file was different from the other slam-toolbox launch files, in that it had a hard-coded parameter file path pointing to the ROS 2 packages directory. As long as the user does not want to tweak anything, no problem. Most users move beyond that stage by the second or third launch of localization.

I created a new localization_launch.py that accepted a slam_params_file launch argument, and tested it with Humble Dave, then filed an “issue” on the slam-toolbox github repository. The “God of SLAM” said “LGTM, if you file a PR”. I was familiar with PR for pull request, but needed to Google “LGTM” to learn “Looks Good To Me”.

A few years ago @cleoqc taught me how to submit a pull request when you have a solution for an issue.
Reviewing my notes I was able to submit my launch file PR and it was approved and merged within a few hours.

It doesn’t help to know what the myriad of SLAM parameters do, but it feels good to be able to tweak them in my local folders.

2 Likes

Congrats on getting your PR approved! That’s fantastic
/K

2 Likes

Anything to improve the new user experience is always cool by me.

Excellent!

2 Likes