I2C Commands to dGPS Sensor

The dGPS sensor manual has a reference to use I2C commands to turn on and turn off the extended firmware functions that provide HDOP, altitude and number of sats data. The manual also states that these extended functions can slow down dGPS processing.

I am seeing some long delays in updating distance to waypoint data from the navigation block. I would like to turn off the extended firmware functions temporarily to see if the distance data gets updated quicker. However, I don’t know how to send I2C commands to the dGPS via the NXT-G configuration software, or if it’s even possible.

I would appreciate any guidance I can get on how to send I2C register change commands to the dGPS sensor.

Thanks,
Paul

1 Like

You are totally outside my competency, and likely everyone else here as well.

The only advice I can give you is to dig into the details of the NXT-G ecosystem, to find out if there

• Is any way to program more granularly in the stock block programming language.
  • Is there an alternative programming language like Python or Javascript?
  • Is there any documentation for the libraries? Is there a dGPS method that has alternate or additional parameters?

This is the line of research I would follow.

Hi Jim,

From the little research I have done, I think this can only be done via an external board like an Arduino or Raspberry Pi, which is totally outside of my competency. :grinning:

Paul

1 Like

Can you find the supporting libraries? Or is that all hidden behind the programming interface?

Maybe there’s a forum for your 'bot that has better information?

Hi Jim,

I did a little searching and can’t find any info on getting deeper into programming with NXT-G. I will have a look and see if there are other forums that might help out.

Paul

1 Like

That stinks. . .

Checking other forums at this point is likely your best bet.

Please return here and:

• Tell us, (provide links if possible), to other forums for this platform.
  • Let us know what solutions, (if any), are available so others can benefit from your research.

Thanks for all the hard work!