Inconsistent Movement

I am having a similar issue on recently buy GoPiGo. A little worst actually since the same test above crashes with above.

I try updating to v14 and v13 but the problem is worse (The working wheel with version v15 is not working with those).

Ver: 1.5
8.22 V

CHECKING ENCODER READINGS
211 18
Both motors moving Forward with LED On
after 5 sec 199 3
Both motors stopped with LED Off
None after stop cmd 208 3
None after 2 more sec 215 3
Both motors moving back with LED On
after 5 sec 195 4
None after stop cmd 204 4
None after 2 more sec 212 4

CHECKING ENCODER TARGETING

Initial encoder read vals: -1 0
Enc tgt Status: 0
Final encoder read vals: 0 1

Initial encoder read vals: 0 -1
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “./encoder_tgt_complete_test.py”, line 66, in <module>
enc_stat=read_enc_status()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/GoPiGo-0.0.0-py2.7.egg/gopigo.py”, line 519, in read_enc_status
st=read_status()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/GoPiGo-0.0.0-py2.7.egg/gopigo.py”, line 511, in read_status
st=bus.read_byte(address)
IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

Hey Mransan,
Can you try running the same code with firwmare version 1.3 and post what you get. Also, what power source are you using, if you are using batteries, it would be great if they are above 9V.

-Karan

I think I’m having the same problem, the motors only turn for a second or 2 and I’m seeing the IOError as well.

sudo python encoder_tgt_complete_test.py 
Ver: 1.6
9.96 V

CHECKING ENCODER READINGS
0 0
Both motors moving Forward with LED On
after 5 sec 1 1
None after stop cmd 1 1
None after 2 more sec 1 1
Both motors moving back with LED On
after 5 sec 1 1
None after stop cmd 1 1
None after 2 more sec  1 1

CHECKING ENCODER TARGETING

Initial encoder read vals: 0 -1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File &quot;encoder_tgt_complete_test.py&quot;, line 66, in &lt;module&gt;
    enc_stat=read_enc_status()
  File &quot;build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/gopigo.py&quot;, line 521, in read_enc_status
  File &quot;build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/gopigo.py&quot;, line 513, in read_status
IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

Hey kenvandine,
Can you try using the demo and see if that works for you, here is the link to the guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJu8k-_UQgg. If it does not work well, can you run the troubleshooting script here, here the link to how to do that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMadpIEYq5o. Can you also post a few pictures of your GoPiGo setup.

-Karan

I can’t run through those right now (probably tomorrow), but I ran a number of the examples earlier and experienced it. I also ran basic_test_all.py and tried to get the motor’s to turn, they would only turn for a second or 2. I also unplugged the left motor, which did fix the problem for the right motor. Without the left motor plugged in, the right motor runs just fine. However, plugging the right motor into the left, I see the same problem. It makes me think there’s something wrong with the board, not the motor. Simply having either motor plugged into the pins for the left motor causes them both to not continue to run.

We need this for my son’s science fair project, so a bit under the gun to get it working. I went ahead and ordered motors to be sent overnight with hopes it resolves the issue. Can you confirm this motor should work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012FYMW54?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Thanks,
Ken

Ken, they look about the right size. But you might have to break out a soldering iron to get the wires to adapt to a GoPiGo.

The new motor’s I ordered from Amazon worked great, and mostly solved the problem. Now the GoPiGo will go in a straight line for 8 to 10 feet before the motors stop. Not sure why that happens, but that’s much easier to deal with than half an inch at a time :slight_smile:

I do wish they would run until stop() is called, but I can live with this for now.

Hey kevandine,
Can you share the link to the motors that you brought from amazon. We’ll have a look at them and check what is the difference between those motors and ours.

Also, the GoPiGo should keep running until you call the stop command. Can you share a link to the example that you are using and I’ll have a look into it.

-Karan