Issue with Starting with ROS on the GoPiGo3 and the Raspberry Pi

After following the instructions to install the GoPiGo3Node, I attempted to run the “Test your installation” commands and received this error message:

File “/home/pi/gopigo3_ws/src/src/gopigo3_driver.py”, line 21, in
from nav_msgs.msg import Odometry
ImportError: No module named nav_msgs.msg

Did I somehow error during the GoPiGo3Node installation since there appears to be a missing package named nav_msgs.msg and how can this be corrected?

Additionally, during catkin_make, these error messages appeared which I think has something to do with the above error message:

CMake Warning at /opt/ros/kinetic/share/catkin/cmake/catkinConfig.cmake:76 (find_package):
Could not find a package configuration file provided by “nav_msgs” with any
of the following names:

nav_msgsConfig.cmake
nav_msgs-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of “nav_msgs” to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
“nav_msgs_DIR” to a directory containing one of the above files. If
“nav_msgs” provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has
been installed.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:10 (find_package)

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also “/home/pi/gopigo3_ws/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
See also “/home/pi/gopigo3_ws/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.(upload://cPfkRY8IuGNVgXq1I2Nb8czfqQz.txt) (1.1 KB)

Invoking “cmake” failed

I have attached the CMakeError.log CMakeError.txt (1.1 KB)

Regards,
Tom C

I left a comment on the GitHub ros-gopigo/gopigo3_node and received these responses from Christian Rauch:

Yes, you are missing the nav_msgs package.

The binary ROS package in the apt repositories typically have the name scheme ros-<distro>-<package> . The package ros-melodic-nav-msgs is the package for ROS melodic . For ROS kinetic, you will have to install ros-kinetic-nav-msgs .

In any case, rosdep install --from-paths src --ignore-src -y should automatically determine and install the correct package. I also update the wiki (https://github.com/ros-gopigo/gopigo3_node/wiki) accordingly.

I will try Christian’s suggested fix and report back.

Regards,
Tom C

Unfortunately Christian’s suggestions did not result in a complete GoPiGo3_Node installation.

It has been determined that the “Starting with ROS on the GoPiGo3 and the Raspberry Pi” instructions to install the GoPiGo3_Node are incomplete and outdated.

Use these instructions instead.

Regards,
Tom C

1 Like

Before attempting to follow the new instruction to install the GoPiGo3_Node, you will have to add some additional ROS packages first.

See how to add the additional ROS packages here.

Regards,
Tom C