[SOLVED] Live Stream Camera Issue

Okay, so the service has been active for more than 40 minutes. Could you reboot the Pi and try going to that address? When things run for that long and you have something that doesn’t work, it’s best to give it a reboot.

Thanks!

OK, rebooted. Do you want another similar screenshot?

No, I want to see if you can reach the video stream on your Pi within a browser.

No same results.

I should verify I just started it with this command:
sudo python flask_server.py

Are these lines clues from that output from systemctl status uv4l_raspicam?

[core] Trying to load the the Streaming Server plug-in…
[core] libserver.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[core] Continuing without Streaming Server…

Hi @jhutton,

That looks as if the installation of UV4l didn’t finish successfully. At this point there are 2 options for us:

1. Either search more about this error you’ve shown me and try fixing it, which I try, but there’s isn’t much information available about it. Reinstalling any package related to UV4L might be a good decision.

2. Or just use the latest version of Raspbian For Robots - the last one was published yesterday and this time is not a beta.

Also, please take the README into consideration again, because when running the project, you need to use python3 and not python and you also need to drop the sudo command.

Thanks!

No luck still.
I started fresh with
2018.06.01_Raspbian_For_Robots_by_Dexter_Industries-stretch
and then just connected to a monitor with a hdmi cable, mouse, and keyboard
Connected to wifi
ran the: sudo bash install.sh
rebooted
python3 flask_server.py

Tested on device localhost:5000
same results. No image, just the paper airplane flying around saying “Waiting video stream…”
localhost:8080/stream/video.mjpeg gives “This site can’t be reached”

Hi @jhutton,

We’ll do it the following way: we’ll test it ourselves on our image and then we’ll send a burned image of ours to you and then ask you to run a test on it.

Thank you!

So, I just found the Pygame Video Controller project, and got it working.
https://studio.dexterindustries.com/cwists/preview/945x

It does what I was looking for. So I don’t know if I need the “RemoteCameraRobot” project after all. Thanks for your help.

Hi @jhutton,

That’s an interesting project, though it doesn’t offer the same fine control over the robot. Still … interesting.

There was a bug with the installer script that made it go wrong on Stretch and now this has been fixed. You can now do the following:

1. curl -kL dexterindustries.com/update_gopigo3 | bash

2. sudo bash install.sh the install script for the project in question.

3. Reboot the Pi.

4. Start the server by running the python script with python3.

5. And then check the web page again.

If this doesn’t work for some unexplained reason, then it can only be the library’s fault (the UV4L Raspicam). If again this happens, you can show us a screenshot of systemctl status uv4l_raspicam.

Looking forward to hearing more from you,

Robert

One step forward, one step back…
Still no image. Actually the Pygame Video Controler now doesn’t show the image either. It says something about needing to enable the camera.

Here is systemctl status uv4l_raspicam
Captureb

Also notice that the 8080 port is now working, but when I click the “Mpeg still/stream” it shows a black image. It didn’t show this screen before… progress…Capturea

When I try to capture a still image with the camera I get:Capturec

What’s even more weird is that now my camera no longer works. I’m getting the same error as the one you see.

And it’s not just raspicam, it’s raspistill and picamera too.

I think this might be an issue with the kernel - probably this has to be reported to Raspbian. I’ll run a couple more tests and if it still doesn’t work, we’ll get into contact with them.

So, long story short, this doesn’t look like it’s a problem with these 2 projects (ours and the one you found) anymore, but it’s with the kernel.

Thanks!

Edit: it seems the camera is working only the couple first times; after that a new re-flash is needed. Just as if something gets messed up during its operation.

OK.

Glad in a way it’s not just me. I’m not in a huge rush, I’m a teacher just trying to learn what I can do with these before I get students playing with them more next year.

FYI: With the pygame video controler, I did have it working for a number of hours today. I was driving it up and down halways, and around other classrooms in my school. So the camera seemed to be working in that project until I ran the updates for this project.

Thanks for the help.

That’s interesting that you had it working for hours before it crashed. That’s good information and I’ll make sure to take this into consideration when debugging this stuff.

I’ll also tag this post with the pending tag because it seems quite important and we want to have this project working down to the last bit.

Thank your for your understanding!

Hi @jhutton,

We’ve changed the internals of the project and now it should be more stable/robust than the previous version we had. All the details on what changes have been brought can be seen in the following PR:

@jhutton, please give this project another spin and let us know if it works better than the last time. And by the way, the problems I had with the camera were caused by 2 things: a broken UV4L and a bad ribbon cable. So, maybe your ribbon cable might need an eye inspection too.

Thank you!

Yes it works now. Thanks!

I also discovered a hardware issue. I noticed today one of my cameras looks like this, it is missing something that the other cameras have. I have a set of gopigo’s, and I can’t remember which one I was doing different tests on previously. But this may have been some of my issue, I’m not sure if it shipped like this, or if we broke it.
picamera

Hi @jhutton,

That board looks like it doesn’t have the camera sensor mounted on. It certainly shouldn’t be this way. I have never encountered such a situation.

And if you were to connect this module to the Pi it certainly won’t work.

And I’m really glad to hear the project now works. Which by the way, please let us know when (and if) we can mark this thread as solved.

Thank you!