Log files "generated" by DexterOS have old dates?

Greetings!

While risking the warranty on my GoPiGo, (wink!), I found the folder “Logs” on the “Dexter” USB stick supplied with my kit. Of course, I had to snoop it out, and discovered it filled with a whole plethora of interesting things.

I did notice something weird - all the log files are from the first half of 2018 and I never ran the device until after New Years Day 2019.

I see two possible reasons for this:

1. The system time-and-date on the GoPiGo has no basis in reality.
  2. The log files there are artifacts from some by-gone era.

Which leads me to the Musical Question(s):

1. If the date-and-time are from Outer Space, how do I determine which witch is which? (what log represents what time period)
  2. Is there some (reasonable) way to have the GoPiGo report a sane date/time?
  3. (Possible enhancement request) Maybe a future GoPiGo board could have a RTC?

See attached screen shot.
Log%20File%20Names

Here are the logs themselves - just remove “.txt”

Logs.zip.txt (269.4 KB)

Jim “JR”

p.s. I am going to try removing the logs and re-launching a fresh instance of DexterOS to see what happens.

Hi @jimrh,

Yes, the problem is that you can’t literally update the time on the image automatically. Not even an RTC would solve the problem as you’d still have to update the date on the first boot (the first time it boots up), although it could prove to be useful.

The only way to solve this would be to update the date automatically when your computer connects to the GoPiGo - this only works if the computer has the right date too since there’s generally no internet access when both of them are connected (laptop and GoPiGo).

If you could get internet access on the robot, this problem would be solved.

Until then, you can type date in the terminal and retrieve the “current time” on the Raspberry Pi.

We are still thinking of a way to make it report the right time and be reliable (like be able to retrieve the correct date at all times).

Thank you!

@RobertLucian

I am in DexterOS. You, along with others, have mentioned being in a “terminal” though I have not found one. Please explain how to get there from here.

One thought is the ability to use the browser to capture “wall time” (or system time) from the browser connection. I have seen this done but I don’t know how to do it.

Jim “JR”

The terminal is found in the JupyterLab’s interface. Do it like in the following GIF.

If you want multiple tabs for anything (Jupyter Notebook, terminal, whatever), just open up a new launcher in JupyterLab’s UI.

accessing_the_terminal

Thank you!