Parametric design to 3D print a Robotics Adapter Plate for attaching a YDLIDAR X4 sensor to your GoPiGo3 robot

As has been mentioned by @KeithW, it can be tricky to mount a YDLIDAR X4 on a polycarbonate GoPiGo3 robot plate:

Recently, @cyclicalobsessive has voiced similar concerns but went a step further to make a great suggestion / “wish”:

I was at exactly that stage in reworking the configuration of my GoPiGo robot to try and follow handsonros, 2023 edition (thanks @cyclicalobsessive!), so I decided to take that challenge. The “design” and “make” went well and the YDLIDAR X4 is now securely mounted on the GoPiGo3 robot, so I have just published the info in my Thingiverse account at Parametric Robotics Adapter Plate by este-este - Thingiverse.

Here are some pix (more are at the Thingiverse link):

BTW, some kind of adapter plate for attaching a YDLIDAR X4 to a GoPiGo3 robot was mentioned here but no design was published that I could find.

If you don’t have access to a 3D printer, no worries, there are plenty of online 3D printing services (e.g. see this review https://all3dp.com/1/best-online-3d-printing-service-3d-print-services/ )

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Very impressive! Great looking robot - Has it a name yet?

I bought a bunch of right angle USB cables - looks like the YDLIDAR power cable is hoping to catch on something as it drives around the house.

3 Likes

Thanks! I am already using two right angle USB adapters in the two USB 3.0 ports of the Raspi (YDLIDAR is using 1) so I need to order more for the power side of the YDLIDAR. It is crazy how many little “adapting” pieces I have bought (and probably will continue to buy) in order to “tidy up” this robot!

As for a robot name, I tend not to be creative there. My Nybble cat robot is called Nybble and my Bittle dog robot is called Bittle. I guess my GoPiGo robot will be called GoPiGo. Too many syllables though… Oh well.

3 Likes

Since its a ROS GoPiGo3: ROSGo? (its twin was Roscoe)

2 Likes

That’s awesome. What a great idea.
/K

3 Likes

Cute and clever both!

2 Likes

That’s a good one.
/K

3 Likes