Person sensor (Qwiic)

Really interesting $12 150mW person sensor. Problem that MR products were created when Grove interconnect system was most popular, now so many Qwiic system sensors are popular.

2 Likes

BTW, Adafruit makes a Qwiic to Grove cable that allows the interconnection of these competing formats.

From the Adafruit website:

• You can use this to connect any Grove I2C sensor (3-5V) to an I2C host with Stemma QT or Qwiic connectors (3V)
  • You can use this to connect any STEMMA QT (3-5V) sensor to Grove or STEMMA host (5V) board, and vice versa
  • Warning: If you want to connect a Qwiic board (3V power only!) to a Grove or STEMMA host, make sure the power switch is set to 3V
1 Like

Except ModRobotics products do not support voltage select on the Grove system connectors, so using the cable will fry the Qwiic boards.

1 Like

Yikes - I did not know that! Thanks for pointing that out! Yet another challenge to interconnectivity and competing standards. Still, could use a buck converter like this from Adafruit, yes?

2 Likes

Sure - break the power wire from the Qwiic to Grove cable out to/from the voltage converter.

1 Like

Better if you use a level shifter, or pick off the “raw” i2c from the Pi itself.

I think Sparkfun has an i2c breakout that fits the Raspberry Pi’s pins.

2 Likes