Pinging From Mac

Im using Mac for my stuff and have seen several of the same pinging issues.

I have found that if I write a fresh image on my SD card of the current version from 11/9 it will work the 1st time I put the SD card in and boot it up. It pings fine. However, if i turn off the Gopigo for any reason, I’m no longer able to ping. I pull the SD card out put it back in power it up, wont ping. Pull the SD card out, write another image from the saved one, plug it in, power up I can ping. This even works after the 1st ping and setting up wifi. Connected via wifi I confirm access, but after I reboot, cant ping over wifi or ethernet. Sure enough, make another image, pop it in, I can ping it. Why does power cycling the device make it unreachable?

sanpedro3939, I’m not sure what’s going on. We’ve seen a few people with the same issue now. Can you try to assign a static IP address to your Raspberry Pi? I just put a quick video together about this: https://youtu.be/q7mdXGxBuDI

I’ll give it a try as soon as I can.

Hey John, sorry I didn’t get back sooner. Still an issue.

Assigning a static IP to the RasbPi from the cmdline.txt file allows me to ping without any issue, but it does not however name resolve to dex.local via browser (std or private window) or a follow up ping in the terminal.

Something is not name resolving correctly. Anything else people have had luck with?

Old method still works for a one time boot. I’m assuming the same issue plaques both scenarios.

Made a quick jing showing you it not working. http://screencast.com/t/1IhEXQce7MP

san,
I’m glad the static IP address at least works. YOu should be able to login with that in your browser I believe.

Nothing seems to be working for everyone. The static IP assignment seems to be working for most to resolve the issue, but how to get your computer to recognize the Pi might be a networking issue. Our standard set of questions right now are:

• Are you running a firewall.
  • Are you running a wifi repeater.
  • Are you running any antivirus software that might also be running a firewall.
  • Have you tried downloading and running “Bonjour Browser” from http://www.tildesoft.com ; This could help resolve the dex.local address.

I have one more idea that might help from the Pi side for some folks experiencing this problem I’ll have by tomorrow published, but it’s no guarantee that it can help resolve the network folks are having on their home networks.

John

Hey John,

Browser never worked.

What does “Nothing seems to be working for everyone” mean? That’s confusing.

No firewall on my mac or my router
No wifi repeater
No antivirus currently running
Have not tried Bonjour Browser - I can try this but it seems like were pulling at straws here from the original setup

I never received any update on this other idea. Are you referring to the update on sourceforge for the upadted Dexter_Industries_Raspbian_Flavor files?

What does “Nothing seems to be working for everyone” mean? That’s confusing.
What I mean is that on our forums, you can see a few people struggling with making a connection between their Raspberry Pi and their computer. For most, we've found a way to work around this issue. But each time, it's a special problem. We haven't found a "magic bullet" that works for everyone, like a step-by-step guaranteed way to troubleshoot the networking problems some folks are seeing.
Have not tried Bonjour Browser – I can try this but it seems like were pulling at straws here from the original setup
I wouldn't say we're pulling at straws, I would say I'm trying to throw the kitchen sink at the problem and help you any way that I can. Networking issues can be hard to troubleshoot; the problem might be obvious and I might not be communicating what you're supposed to do, which is why a lot of my questions sound basic. They might also be things that are very specific to your network alone and that I wouldn't be able to guess in a thousand years. So I'm not trying to grasp at straws, I'm genuinely trying to solve the issue about why your Mac can't resolve dex.local over your network.
I never received any update on this other idea. Are you referring to the update on sourceforge for the upadted Dexter_Industries_Raspbian_Flavor files?

You can certainly try to either update the image, or burn a completele new image and see if it works on yours. Again, throwing the kitchen sink at the problem, on the very latest software that I published this month we add ipv6 networking and a few other small tweaks to try to improve networking performance and discovery. I’m not sure if this will help you or solve the problem, but I’d like to throw the kitchen sink at it and give it a shot. If you’re up for it, here are the directions: http://www.dexterindustries.com/howto/install-raspbian-for-robots-image-on-an-sd-card/

Best, John

I’ll take a look this afternoon, thanks for the reply.

Hey John, so everything is working great now. Its hard to say if it was completely flashing the SD card and starting from scratch or if it was combination of that along with the updated image on 1/5 since I did both at the same time. Nothing else changed on my laptop so… Anyway, my son should be good to go for the next mission. Thanks.

That’s great. Not to get heavily technical, but the new image updated has ipv6 support (which the older version did not); that may have made the difference. But either way, great to hear that this is working!