Pivot Pi not working

So i just got my PivotPi in the mail today and when i go to program the PivotPi in python it doesnt work. When i type run the script it states there is no module named PIvotPi, I believe i have downloaded everything properly. I do not want to use Raspbian for Robots so please refrain from sending me there. On the PivotPi board all 8 servo LED’s are on and the battery LED is also on but not power LED, now i know that has nothing to do with my first question, but is this also an issue.

Hi @nexuscustoms15,

Can you show us the steps you have followed for getting the PivotPi installed?

Just so you know, in order to have the PivotPi installed, you need to run the following command:

curl -kL dexterindustries.com/update_pivotpi | sudo bash

In just a few days, we’ll change that to (we’re doing a couple of internal changes):

curl -kL dexterindustries.com/update_pivotpi | bash

But that’s not implemented yet and hence, use the first command I gave you.

After this you’ll be able to use the PivotPi by doing import pivotpi in Python.

Thank you!

Hey thanks for the quick reply, the first link using sudo bash doesnt even download please fix this for future users. But take out sudo and just use bash works just fine, still have yet to test out the motors but it has properly installed now i believe. Thank you, One more question still you have yet to answer is that the LED for “Power” on the PivotPi board doesnt light up at all. Is this an issue?

When coding the program i’m now receiving an error message that there’s “No Module Named PivotPi”. Now I did not pay close to $100 for your install/config file to not work or have very unclear instructions on what to do. Please fix this for me as i’m not very happy with the product as of now.

Hi Nexus,

If you aren’t running this on raspbian, what are you running it on?

1 Like

Raspbian, when did i say i wasn’t running my Pi on raspbian. I did mention i was running Raspbian for Robots because i wanted to stay away from that.

Hi @nexuscustoms15,

1. First can you show us what script you’re running that fails when it’s being run?

2. Second, how did you connect the PivotPi to the RaspberryPi? Through the Grove port or did you just stack it on top of it?

3. Make sure you don’t have the foam board still attached to your PivotPi - that will mess things up.

4. What do you get by typing in i2cdetect -y 1 on your console?

5. Might be a great idea to show us the output you get when you run the curl .. | bash command - this might give us an insight if there’s something wrong with it. Please format it with triple grave accents (`).

Now, we can help you, but you also need to help us understand what your exact problem is (generally speaking), and for this matter, the more information you give us, the better. And we’re sorry if we’ve made you feel not happy with the product.

Also, I’ve just installed the PivotPi on a fresh Raspbian and it worked perfectly for me.

Thank you!

Hello Robert, what is the current access for updating PivotPi or even Grove Pi. I’m experiencing the same troubles

1 Like

@muspelheimer,

A lot has happened in the last four years, the coronavirus notwithstanding.

Chief among them is that Dexter Industries was bought-out by Modular Robotics and I strongly suspect that Robert Lucian is no longer with them.

Additionally, those products that were relatively “niche” products, (like the Brick-Pi or Pivot-Pi), are not being actively marketed. (As Far As I Know)

I don’t know of anyone, (aside from you), here on the forums who even HAS a Pivot-Pi, so I don’t know where to direct you for support.

I can try to help, based on other things I have seen - particularly with the Grove-Pi - but to do that, I need some additional information:

1. Which version of the Raspberry Pi are you using?
  2. Which version of the Raspberry Pi operating system are you using?
  3. Exactly what are you trying to do?  (i.e. What are you doing and what is the expected result?)
  4. What happens when you try to do it? (please include output formatted as a code-block)

Once I understand what you’re trying to achieve, I can try to help.

Please understand that I don’t have a Pivot-Pi, but that I am trying to help anyway.  My suggestions may not work or you may have to do additional research on your own part.

In any event, let’s see if we can get your beastie working. :wink:

Hello Jim, that’s very kind of you helping me.

Yes I got the Pivot in early 2021, directly from Dexter, and I made it work with a version (perhaps older version) of Raspbian for robots… I noticed that not only the interfaced changed but I could no longer be able to make it work after “upgrading it”, may be I missed out something else. But for example the “robot” layout where you could access the GrovePi wasn’t there the last time I tested it with the Pivotpi. I’m using both RaspberryPi-Zero W and a RaspberryPi4. But I’m essentially working only with the Pi-Zero using Raspbian for robots (or whatever its name now) since I need the other Pi for another project. I’m also trying to connect the Light and color sensor (I explained that later). The version I have so far upgraded from the terminal is v10 and according to the log it was modified on the 17th of October 2020 and my last update is from yesterday (Jan 9, 2022). Both the Grove Pi and the Pivot pi seems to connect well but the Pivot fails to move the motors… I run a test on the GrovePi and it seems to work with the new update. Not the same luck with the Pivot, is there any changes on the Scratch syntax that I might not be aware?. I’m intending to connect 8 servos so they can follow a sequence for opening and closing some hydroponic valves simple as just going 0 to 90 to 180 and at different angle and position each. The Light and Color Sensor not been able to be recognized by the GrovePi… is not even listed in the commands I will send you capture of my code blocks to your email address.

Thanks a Lot!

David.

1 Like

EIGHT servos?  On a ZERO?

AFAIK, the limiting factor here is the power supply - servos are power hungry beasties.

Try disconnecting all the servos but one.

Try a BIGGER (Pi-3) supply.  Make sure it’s an OFFICIAL supply as others may not have the testicular fortitude to supply all that power in a pinch.

Try the other Pi, or get another Pi-3 and try it.  (I don’t know if the Pivot-Pi will work on a Pi-4 running Buster.)

• Exactly what operating system are you running?  Have you tried the latest Raspbian for Robots? (try it before running any apt-get upgrades)
  • Updated in what way?  (an apt-get update to the O/S or a curl update to the pivot pi?)

You should be able to copy code blocks here. If you can’t upload it, just rename it by adding “.txt” to the end.

I’ll hold 'em and you hit 'em and we’ll get this worked out.