Raspberry pi 4 B & Raspbian for robots not booting on GoPiGo

Hello,

I have tried to boot on the Buster experimental release supposed to be compatible with Pi 4.
I get this error: START.ELF IS NOT COMPATIBLE

Is there a more recent image that I can flash?

Alternatively, if I were to install Raspbian stock, what do I need to install/configure to program the gopigo with python? I could not find a guide or instructions for this.

Thanks

3 Likes

That usually means you have an old firmware image on your Pi-4.

There are instructions on the Raspberry Pi site for updating firmware.  I’m not sure, but you may be able to use the Raspberry Pi imager to create a firmware update image.

2 Likes

This is the part that I don’t get , where can I get a more recent Raspbian for Robots?
The one linked in the tutorial is from end of 2019: Download Dexter Raspbian for Robots from SourceForge.net

Is there a more recent one?

3 Likes

The latest version of software for the GoPiGo-3 is GoPiGo O/S 3.0.2 which you can download from here:
https://gopigo.io/downloads/gopigo_os

Raspbian for Robots has been depreciated.

You can use either GoPiGo O/S, (which is a mixture of Raspbian for Robots and Dexter O/S, and includes all the learning tools), or you can download the “legacy” Buster release of Raspbian and install the GoPiGo libraries over it if you don’t need Bloxter.

If you are doing more advanced programming, and don’t want the lower-level educational stuff, do the Raspbian Legacy and download the GoPiGo stuff over it.

I don’t remember the exact link for the GoPiGo libraries, but if you search the forms for “curl”, you should find it.  You can also search for “legacy Raspbian” and that should lead you to instructions how to install the GoPiGo libraries.

2 Likes

Thanks I managed to install Buster and the libraries with :
curl -kL dexterindustries.com/update_gopigo3 | bash
curl -kL dexterindustries.com/update_sensors | bash

3 Likes