Raspberry Pi 5!

Raspberry Pi 5 is coming out soon

Here’s what Hackspace has to say about it:

Cool beanies!

I want one!

1 Like

Maybe Raspberry Pi 4’s will finally be available to buy :slight_smile:

I already subscribe to HackSpace. Haven’t gotten my email code yet. I’ll confess I’ll probably buy one “just because” - even though I don’t have any current specific use for it.

/K

2 Likes

I want to get a couple

• to experiment with
  • to put in a GoPiGo3 to verify compatibility.

(Maybe I will put one in both Charlie and Charline?)

2 Likes

Maybe, from a “lower power for the same computational load” standpoint and built in RTC, it sounds like it might offer some mobile robot enhancement, but needing 27W PD supply to get maximum performance, active cooling, and Bookworm hardware drivers, says this processor is not for GoPiGo3 class robots.

Even the Pi4 is already making life difficult for GoPiGo3 and TutleBot4, neither will be able to benefit without redesign for Pi5 5A max power need.

Pi3B+ remains the best price/performance board for the GoPiGo3, with a 2GB Pi4 close behind if the user understands programming to manage processor load, or is only doing basic robotics without vision. (Only Pi4 4GB at $55 seem available at present - sadly the Pi3B+ seems to be a “Legacy Board” but still available on Amazon for 3 dollars less than a Pi4.)

Official announcement:

I’m not biting until the iRobot Create offers 27W Power Delivery on their USB-C port or perhaps putting a powerbank between the iRobot Create and the Pi5 would do the trick, so the Create charges the powerbank, and the powerbank has the reserve to power the Pi5 at the full 2.5GHz. Can’t find a powerbank that does PD 5V 5A though.

2 Likes

The reason for compatibility testing is that the Pi-3, though perhaps the best bang for the buck, is becoming difficult to find and even the Pi-4 isn’t exactly overstocked.

We, (GoPiGo3), need to be able to adapt to the available resources or risk becoming, (even more), irrelevant.

2 Likes

Indeed it will be interesting for someone to figure out how to have an aspirated Pi5 mated to the GoPiGo3. (It comes with temperature controlled fan (4-pin) JST jack and I think comes with the heatsinks this time.) It may require a 40 pin spacer and standoffs from the pictures and description.

I would guess the procedure I used to get the GoPiGo3 software running on Ubuntu 20.04 will work for Bookworm. They supposedly are going to release Bookworm before the hardware is available.

A GoPiGo3 with a built-in RTC - imagine the possible use cases.

2 Likes

Couldn’t resist - stupid me, pre-ordered a Pi5 4GB with a 120v 27W PD brick, the fan case and the super cooler. Crazy me. $60 computer ends up $106 with the goodies, tax and shipping from pishop.us

2 Likes

And why is this stupid?

I ordered 2.

2 Likes

And not only will it run Bookworm from the Raspberry Pi Foundation, but it will run Ubuntu 23.10 - that means ROS 2 support will not be far behind.

Sure hope there is a way to mate it to the GoPiGo3 and power the bugger. The Turtlebot4 / Create3 folks are thinking their 3A supply may be enough: “we should be able to run the Pi 5 at 15 W with the primary impact being the limit on downstream USB current.”

(The GoPiGo3 only supports 2.5A 12.5W and needs a fan to keep from throttling )

2 Likes

Worst case scenario is that it will need longer standoffs and, (possibly), a 40-pin extension.

I wonder if the GoPiGo OS will run on the beastie?

1 Like

I only pre-ordered 1 (8GB, just because). Didn’t get the cooling stuff though - maybe I should.

Too funny that we all got one (or more :slight_smile: )
/K

1 Like

No “maybe” about it.

Cooling Is Your Friend!

Though I’m wondering where to get the longer standoffs. . . .

1 Like

??? No cooling ???

This article https://hackaday.com/2023/09/28/a-raspberry-pi-5-is-better-than-two-pi-4s/ notes 2-3x better performance than a Pi 4, but also notes the need for cooling. So I’ll have to do that.
/K

2 Likes

But, again silly me thought I could get a headstart and install Ubuntu Bookworm Server (pre-release daily build) on my Pi4.

Ugg, no cigars/candy being handed out by my robots - Just have to wait like everyone else at this point.

2 Likes

I only ordered 1 with all the trimmings

3 Likes

Not the current version as the Pi5 will require Bookworm.

3 Likes

Possible success creating a Bookworm Pi OS … Did a Bookworm dist-upgrade from the 64-bit Bullseye Pi OS on my Pi4. It boots up saying it is Bookworm. Next to see if I can get the GoPiGo3 software installed.

Linux bookworm 6.1.21-v8+ #1642 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr  3 17:24:16 BST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux
3 Likes

OUCH Getting GoPiGo3 python egg files built/installed on Bookworm may be a long haul requiring @cleoqc and an MR decision on the value of supporting the Pi5 (or even Bookworm on Pi4).

Python continues to change in ways that break system designs (virtual-environment default now) and system install scripts (setup.py deprecated)

Previously the GoPiGo3 install broke by the deprecation of Python 2, requiring minor install script changes at strategic points, but the advance to Python 3.11.2 with stricter package management seems to require deeper install design changes.

I have seen a few hints that user permissions may have been altered in Bookworm. Driving the GoPiGo3 hardware by a non-privileged user was carefully crafted by DI by adding the pi user to privileged groups, and adding rules for accessing the GoPiGo3 hardware. I cannot get far enough in the install to test for any changes there but I’m pretty sure the bcm2835-gpiomem rule won’t work on the Pi5 since the RP1 replaces the BCM2835 chip.

The GoPiGo3 sensors and software I2C depend on wiringpi , which has not been updated for the RP1 I/O controller of the Raspberry Pi 5 (and Bookworm). This is the major hurdle

== Details ==
I got Dexter_AutoDetection_and_I2C_Mutex-1.3.2-py3.11.egg built and installed.

The DI Sensors and I2C depend on wiringpi which fails build/install:

Running wiringpi-2.60.1/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-qxc_o8le/wiringpi-2.60.1/egg-dist-tmp-9w9i89c3
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/setuptools/command/install.py:34: SetuptoolsDeprecationWarning: setup.py install is deprecated. Use build and pip and other standards-based tools.
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/setuptools/command/install_lib.py", line 17, in finalize_options
    self.set_undefined_options('install',('install_layout','install_layout'))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/setuptools/_distutils/cmd.py", line 296, in set_undefined_options
    setattr(self, dst_option, getattr(src_cmd_obj, src_option))
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/setuptools/_distutils/cmd.py", line 107, in __getattr__
    raise AttributeError(attr)
AttributeError: install_layout. Did you mean: 'install_platlib'?

Seems like DI implemented the software I2C using WiringPi (to support devices which require clock stretching like the DI IMU). This would need to be rewritten or changed to only support hardware I2C on the Pi5.

DI already removed the main GoPiGo3 dependency on wiringpi - switching to pigpio back in 2020:

2 Likes

The $400 Create3 with native ROS 2 interface and native auto-docking is looking inviting (but only after a version of ROS 2 for Bookworm on Pi5 emerges…)

The only real need for a Pi5 on the GoPiGo3 is to run native ROS 2 SLAM faster or with greater precision, and I am perhaps the only person in the world that wants “autonomous ROS 2 mobile robot” to not use the main raison d’etre of ROS - distributed processing.

2 Likes