Remote Control command issues - bloxter

HI All - had success with the remote control for about a day and now this issue has appeared.

Looking at the value for the IR sensor on AD2, when we press Ok button the value displays as 8.
4 = left
6 = right

etc.

Tried two different remotes, two diff IR sensors on two different GoPiGos. Tried with distance sensor disconnected and connected.

Any ideas or help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod

Hi Rod,

So there’s something coming from the remote as long as value 8 gets displayed.

In the meantime, can you tell us what GoPiGo are you using (GoPiGo3/GoPiGo2) and what version of DexterOS you are running? The latter can be found by looking at the top right corner in Bloxter.

Also, do you think you can instantiate a Remote object like here and try and read the sensor a couple of times while you are pressing the remote’s buttons?
https://gopigo3.readthedocs.io/en/master/api-basic/sensors.html?highlight=remote#easysensors.Remote

Thank you!

Yes - at least we read an output from the remote.

I’m using the shipping version of Dexter 2.2.0 on a GoPiGo3.

I don’t know enough to instantiate through Python. However, here’s the full mapping through bloxter.
1 nothing
2 up
3 nothing
4 left
5 ok
6 nothing
7 nothing
8 down
9 nothing

0 2

up 5
left 7
ok 8
right 9
down 0

Note that I have tested this on two separate robots with two separate remotes and IR receivers.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Hi @rpmteacher,

That’s odd. It’s the first time hearing a problem with the remote control on the GoPiGo3. Have you tried a new set of batteries?

You are saying it worked for a day and then it stopped. Since you’ve flashed the image a couple of times, then it doesn’t make any sense for the remote to not work, unless there’s something bad going on with it.

Let me know if it works when you get your replacement remote.

Thank you!

Thank you for the replacement remote. Unfortunately, the issue is duplicated with the new remote. Would you be able to send me a program that incorporates the remote so I can test it on our end? I am ready to blame the programmer (me) and figure this is a good next step.

Thanks again , Rod

Hello @rpmteacher

Can you describe what is happening with this remote? Very very odd indeed.

Here’s what I posted earlier in the thread. These are the symptoms. We wonder if the button overlay has been reversed in this batch - my student noticed that this version of your remote (https://www.dexterindustries.com/product/infrared-remote/) has the directional buttons at the top and the numeric keypad at the bottom. Our remotes have the directional buttons at the bottom and the keypad at the top.

1 nothing
2 up
3 nothing
4 left
5 ok
6 nothing
7 nothing
8 down
9 nothing

0 2

up 5
left 7
ok 8
right 9
down 0

Note that I have tested this on two separate robots with two separate remotes and IR receivers.

Any ideas are appreciated.

I wasn’t aware that the remote has been swapped! That would indeed explain the issue.
Let me check with what we have in stock.

I’ll get back to you as soon as I can but it might take a couple of days)

Cleo

I have confirmed they are indeed different, and no one told me :frowning:

I’ll fix that ASAP. I’ll let you know when it’s fixed.

Really sorry about that.

Question: will this be a software fix or new remotes? Thanks.

I have not received the new remote yet so I can’t be 100% certain, but it looks like a software fix is the most likely.

Cleo

We have received new remotes. As soon as we finish testing them, they will get distributed.
Apologies for the long delay on this.

Cleo

I’m surprised 2.3.0 does not solve this issue! The remotes in my coding class have the arrows at the bottom as well.

We will send you the proper remote. The issue was that we were sent the wrong remotes . We now have the good remotes in stock and will replace the ones you have.

@Chris, can you take it from here please?

@twsandmds I need to get a few details from you before the new remote can be shipped. I will send you a direct email so that I can get the info.

Hi and thanks for your help in solving this issue. You can direct email me rpmteacher@gmail.com and we can sort out replacements.

@rpmteacher I have just sent you an email. We can continue there.

@rpmteacher Your replacements remote controls will ship tomorrow. Tracking details were sent to you via email.